A Helping Hand

We walked outside to watch the reset.  It was raining lightly and the cold air pinched my bare legs, arms and face. I'd been given a gas mask and was instructed to put it on. Olive and Emma made sure to stay away from me. Surprise surprise Jake was by my side again. Enoch was stood near Miss Peregrine and the younger ones.
Miss Peregrine started to play the record which I recognised to be Run Rabbit.

I heard some planes over head. I wasn't scared as I knew that the day would reset. A larger plane came over head as it got near it dropped a bomb which was aimed at the house. I got a mini adrenalin rush as the metal came rushing towards us. I kinda enjoyed it. Then silence. I hadn't noticed the whistling the bomb had made. It reminded me of something my dad used to say, you'll only realise you have something when it's gone.

It was amazing to see all the rain droplets freeze in mid-air, then slowly everything started to rewind like a cassette tape. It was beautiful to watch the sun make its journey across the sky.

Miss Peregrine said "gas masks off and lights out in 45 minutes". I tried to take mine off but the straps at the back were caught on my hair. I tugged at it but it was stuck. I looked around for help. Olive and Emma have already gone in with a train of younger kids following them. The only ones left out here was Miss Pregeine who was putting the vinyl player away, Hugh and Fiona who would be too short to help me as I was quiet tall, Enoch and Jake. At that moment I didn't care who helped me, I didn't want to embarrass myself anymore.

I tried to ask someone for help but the gas mask turned it into a weird, echoey murmur. I couldn't help but laugh. Fortunately Jake heard it and came over to help. I notice Enoch had heard to but he kept his distance. Jake started to pull and tug and my hair lightly. I couldn't see what he was doing but I felt like he was making it worse. "You're hopeless at that mate!" Sniggered Enoch. "Well if you're so good at it you have a go!" Jake retaliated back. I couldn't see his face but by Enoch's reaction and Jake's tone I could tell he was embarrassed.

Enoch strode over to help me. I felt his fingers fumble in my hair. I liked the feeling of him touching my hair as it really made me relax. I felt my hair fall back down and the gas mask was taken off my face.

Jake's POV
Fuck Enoch. He's always gets
in the way of me and Kathy getting closer. This was not on, him making me look stupid and an idiot infront of her. He wouldn't of been able to take it off if I hadn't started. I would have had a go at him right there but Kathy was there and I didn't want her to hate me.

He took it off her and smugly said "Wasn't that hard Jake, a blind man could have done it"
"You could only do it because I started it" I replied trying to shut I'm up.
"It's off now, we don't need to have a whole debate about who got it off!" Kathy joked. I laughed and Enoch smiled smugly.

Kathy's POV
We all walked inside and up to our rooms together. "Goodnight if I don't see you again," I said. "Night" Enoch replied
"Goodnight I'll see you in the morning" Jake replied obviously make a bigger effort than Enoch to be nice. I smiled and went into my room. I looked at my bed and saw that there was towels, toothbrush and toothpaste on my bed along with a note that read:

Dear Kathy,
I hope you will enjoy your time here in my loop. These are the timings of the day;

7.15am~breakfast
7.45am-9am ~ your daily chores
1pm~lunch
6.45pm~Dinner
8pm~film
8.45pm~reset
9.30pm~lights out and sleep

You're chores consist of cleaning up from breakfast, tidying up the kitchen and dinning room and beating the rugs clean.

There are a few house rules you must follow;
1) You must treat everyone with respect
2) All physical fights are banned
3) Be thoughtful of the other people living here
4) Look after the house and keep it tidy
5) Don't be late

I noticed you didn't have many toiletries so I got you these
Miss. P

I picked them up a took them to bathroom. I cleaned my teeth then had a shower. I was just about to get out when I realised that I didn't bring my pajamas to get changed into. I got out and sat on the floor in my towel and thought of my possible options.

They consisted of calling out for someone to get them but then they'd have to go through all my stuff to find them, put back on my evening wear but I was all wet and sticky from the moist air so I'd decided to make sure the coast was clear and run to my room in my towels. I made sure my towel was tightly wrapped around me and wouldn't fall off.

I poked my head around the door. I saw no one and I heard no footsteps. I decided it was safe to go to my room. I walked briskly down the corridor, tightly holding my towels. I walked past Horace's room, Hugh's room, Millard's room and I was just coming up to Enoch's and Jake's who's door was opposite when I heard a door open.

It was Enoch. I froze. I slowly walks forward knowing he would see me whatever happened. I could feel myself starting to blush. He saw me. He started to blush, obviously he was just as embarrassed as me. "Why are you in your towel?" He asked awkwardly, trying not to look at me too much. Something deep down told me he wasn't too disturbed by seeing me in just a towel. "I've just had a shower, you idiot," I laughed at him. "You're the idiot here for bringing anything to change into!" He replied doing and adorable smirk. No Kathy stop it. You do not find him cute. I smiled back and replied with "Well I've lost a few braincells from Jake being around me so much" trying not to laugh to much. He chuckled with me until I said goodnight.

I got to my room got changed into my pajamas. It was a white top with black shorts. I closed my curtains and tightly closed my door. I've always made sure my door was closed completely for as long as can I remeber, I did it with mum to stop the men she was with coming into my room at night.

I crawled under my duvet and tried to sleep. I had no luck. My mind was buzzing. I couldn't stop thinking about everyone I'd meet. How was I going to get along with Emma and Olive if they carry on like this? How am I going to get along with Jake and Enoch? Who was I going to make friends with? Were Jake and Enoch going to fall out again? Did Enoch even like me? What if he thinks I'm a bitch? Or a freak? I let the questions fly around my head for a while until I realised something, all the questions were linked to Enoch.

My brain was saying that he was selfish, a jerk, rude and argumentative. My heart was telling me to look beneath that and that he seem caring, kind and scared, scared of being hurt. It made sense to me as I did most the time, but he seemed to do it all the time and a lot more. I put up a hard shell so no one can get in and hurt me. I don't trust anyone as everyone I have has hurt me. I was scared of my feelings and emotions. I didn't trust how I felt. It was like I was scared to admit to myself that I liked Enoch. I decided to stop lying to myself about how I felt but I would not tell anyone. Anyway I doesn't matter because Enoch can do so much better than me. Olive is so much better than me even if she is twofaced, she was open, happy and kind. All I am is a murder. I have killed the woman who had brought me into this world.

And that's when the dark thoughts started. You're a murder! You're horrible! You deserve to be six feet under! You useless, selfish piece of shit! I kept on thinking back to seeing my dad drinking his problems away. My mum numbing the guilt with mindless fucking and abuse.

Then silence. I felt nothing. It was too much for me. I went back the feeling of being incomplete. Then slowly I drifted into deep darkness.