Unnecessary Breaks

I take a deep breath and look at myself in the mirror.

Everything looks okay to me. I guess I'll just wait for the others now.

Looking over at Candy, Tess and Carmen next to me, I turn away from the mirror and lean against the sink. The three of them are still looking in their respective mirrors, checking their make up.

You know, I never would've thought that the four of us would become friends the way we have. It wasn't more than a year ago that Candy hated my guts with a vengeance. She used to come after me with deadly accuracy every time we were in speaking distance. She was meaner than a werewolf on LSD a lot of the time. The way she used to have all sorts of insults and jabs to attack me with whenever she could. Sometimes she'd even run into me 'by accident' just to piss me off.

Not that I was all that nice to her either. But that was mostly because she kept pushing me first. Every time she threw an insult my way or did something just to piss me off, I wanted to smack her. Teach her a lesson that would wipe that smile off her face. Then I finally got my chance. When Faith came up with the idea to have Willow give me slayer powers for a day, I gave her an ass kicking like she'd never had before. I still remember sometimes how it felt to be a slayer. All that power, all the speed and agility that comes with being a slayer. It was a great feeling. I kinda get why Candy was such a bitch for so long.

Who wouldn't be a bitch with those kinds of feelings running through you twenty-four hours a day? Buffy used to be that way back in Sunnydale. She got better though, especially after everything that happened with Angel, and now so has Candy. Thankfully it didn't take a cursed vampire ex-boyfriend rampaging through the town to get Candy to be a better person, just me and a little help from the scythe and Willow. Now we're almost like the best of friends. All four of us are like the best of friends.

"God that class was boring."

I look over at Candy at her statement.

"Why does Mr. Sorkin have to be so boring when he teaches? Couldn't he do something more exciting to make the class more fun?"

Tess points out the obvious before I can.

"It's physics Candy. Exactly how exciting do you expect it to be?"

"I don't know, it's just hard to pay attention when he goes on and on in the same tone of voice for an hour and a half."

Carmen laughs a little.

"No one's forcing you to take it Candy."

That has me chuckling.

"No one except my sister..."

Candy looks at me, slightly upset.

"Come on Candy, you know that my sister isn't going to let you go to Cleveland and have Giles assign you a Watcher unless you have some understanding of magic."

"Yeah but isn't the whole point of magic that physics is a load of crap?"

She may have become a nicer person over the last year or so, but she's still not the sharpest tool in the shed.

"Magic has consequences, just like physics. You can't do one thing without affecting another. Trust me. I saw my fair share of it in Sunnydale. You don't want to mess with it unless you know exactly what you're doing. And even then it usually comes back to bite you in the ass somehow."

Candy turns her attention back to the mirror in front of her with a huff of frustration.

"Still doesn't help me with the fact that Mr. Sorkin is so massively boring."