Desperation

Opening the door to Faith's room, I go inside, the backpack shrugged up over my shoulder. I look around to make sure no one's coming before taking off my backpack and opening it up. When I know I'm alone with Faith, I pull out the book and set it down on her bedside table and pull out the rest of the items I need. A couple of candles, holy water, and a few herbs to burn.

This has to work. She means everything to me and I don't know if I can keep living this way. Wondering if she'll wake up today or tomorrow. It feels like she's been asleep forever. I can't take it anymore. There has to be more that I can do to help her recover faster. And I'm right. I just hope that this works the way I want it to.

After I take all the right ingredients out of my bag, I start putting them where they need to be. The candles go around Faith's hospital bed, lighting each one as I place them in position. Then I place one candle in front of me and light it, completing the circle around her. With each candle in place, I pick up the Ziploc bags of herbs that have been sitting on Faith's beside table.

Buffy would kill me if she knew I was doing this. She doesn't like me messing with magic and stuff. In fact, as a general rule, she doesn't like me having to deal with anything demonic or supernatural at all unless I absolutely have to. But this is something I have to do. And it's not like this is anything big, like the spell I tried to do to bring my mother back from the dead. I'm not stupid enough to mess with things that powerful again, no matter how tempting it is.

My eyes watch Faith's face while she sleeps and take out a pinch of the first herb, sprinkling it gently over the candle flame. It flickers slightly, and I take a pinch of the second herb, doing the same thing I did with the first. This time the candle flickers more and there's also a small spark, letting me know I'm doing it properly.

Okay, and now the incantation with the third one.

I pick up the book along with the pinch of the third herb and find the right spell. As I sprinkle the herb, I say the spell.

"A simple spell for the one I love, hear my call, listen to my words from beyond your wall, speak to me from within your slumber and speak to me a simple number. Listen to my words sincere and rescue me from my fear. With the words I speak, hear my heart and obey my call from finish to start."

A small puff of smoke shoots up from the candle in a swirl before it disappears in the air.

That should do it. Now I just hope that it actually worked.

Leaning over her on the bed, I whisper to her softly.

"Faith..."

Faith stays still and doesn't say anything.

She's supposed to say a number or something if she hears me.

"Faith?"

Nothing happens.

Why can't she hear me and do something?

"Faith, can you hear me?"

She doesn't move or say anything.

"Faith, if you can hear me please wake up."

Reaching out, I take her hand. It stays as limp as it's been for the past seven weeks while I hold it. She doesn't move when I squeeze her hand gently.

"Come on Faith, wake up for me."

She stays still in her sleep, barely moving except for the slow rise and fall of her chest.

"Come back to me baby."

Again all that happens is nothing.

"I need you to come back to me and tell me that you love me. Because I love you."