Terrible Ideas

It has to die. That's the only way to make things right.

My head keeps shifting left and right, searching for the demon that made all this happen.

This thing put the woman I love in a coma, and someone has to do something to make it pay for that. Buffy obviously isn't going to do anything, she just keeps saying that we have to wait and make sure we're not going to get hurt. But everything about my relationship with Faith tells me that's not always the best way to go. Sometimes you just have to go straight into things head on and hope that everything works out.

I owe everything I have with Faith to that kind of thinking. If I hadn't taken a chance and kissed her when I did, we never would've been what we are now. We never would've fallen so completely in love as we are. The things I've felt, being with Faith, they're so beyond what I could've imagined being in love could be. And I can't just sit around while there's something out there that tried to take that away from me.

We reach the intersection where my sister and girlfriend last fought that Faraquad demon thing and I start looking for it even harder.

I'm gonna kill this thing. I'm gonna kill it and I'm gonna make it pay for trying to take the woman I love from me. Maybe not in that order, but I know I have to do this, whether I have a chance or not. It's not like I'm an idiot or something. I know this thing is stronger and faster than me, and I know it'll probably kill me before I can raise my sword against it. But I can't just sit around anymore. If I have to die for the woman I love, then I will.

At least I'll die knowing that I actually tried to do something to stop the demon, unlike some other people I know. And if I die trying to fight the demon that tried to kill my girlfriend, Faith will know that I died because I loved her enough to fight back against what did this to her. Of course, I'm hoping that by some miracle I won't wind up dead and I'll actually find a way to kill the demon before it kills me. I don't know how exactly, but I'll do it some way.

I look at Tess for a second before stopping and turning at a 360 degree angle in the middle of the park.

Except that only works if I can find the damn thing, which so far it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

"Well, I don't see it anywhere Dawn. Maybe we should just go back and try not going on a suicide mission. I hear it's what all the cool kids are doing these days."

"Yeah well, I've never been one to go with the pack. Let's keep looking. If it's not somewhere around here, we might be able to find some clue to where it went."

With a firm grip on the broad sword I took from Buffy's weapons chest, I start searching for some sign of the demon.

There has to be something, somewhere that can tell me where the demon might be. I won't go home empty handed. I won't go back to that cold, sterile hospital room and watch Faith lie there like a vegetable for the next week, maybe two. Not without knowing for sure that when the moment comes that she finally wakes up, I'll be able to tell her that the thing that did this to her is dead and gone for good.

"And you're sure that's a good idea? Because I'm honestly still not convinced that I'd like to die by having my head ripped off. It doesn't sound like the best way to die."

"I'm sure it doesn't feel all that great either. But I don't plan on being the one dying. And neither are you."

My foot steps on the edge of something and I almost trip. Thankfully, I manage to keep my balance. When I look down, I see a huge footprint in the ground. It's not deep, but it's way too big to be human, like 3 times the size of a human foot, especially with the talon-like toes on the ends of it.