Empty Glasses

My pillow is wet and sticky as I can't stop crying my eyes out into it.

She did it. She really did it.

I all but scream into my pillow at the thought.

She left me because she needed space. How could she do that? How could she leave ME and not understand why I did it? Faith always understands. She always knows exactly why I do the things I do, sometimes even before I know why I do them. So why didn't she understand now? Why couldn't she just understand what I was trying to do and love me for it? Why is this time any different? I just don't understand.

There's a gentle hand on my shoulder all of sudden, but it's not the hand that I want to be touching me.

"I'm so sorry Dawn."

Doing my best to wipe the tears off my face with my sleeve, I hold back the tears long enough to pull my head up off my pillow and look up at my sister.

I don't even know what to say to that. She looks so sad for me, like she pities me or something.

"Can I do anything?"

All I do is drop my face back into my pillow.

"I can make you some tea or something. It might make you feel better."

She wants to make me tea?

"No."

"Are you sure? It could make you feel a lot better. I know it always helps me when I'm not in the best mood."

"I don't want any stupid tea."

Silence hits my bedroom for a while and I can feel the tears coming back.

"I think we have some cookie dough ice cream in the freezer. You know how much you like cookie dough ice cream. I'll go get some if you want."

God, can't she just shut up already?

"No, just go away already."

"I'm sorry Dawnie... I just can't stand to see you like this. It's been days since you had that fight with Faith and you're still hurting. I want to do something to help."

I breathe into my pillow heavily.

"You can't help. No one can help. Just go away."

The only one who can help is Faith, and she's not coming anywhere near me.

A soft hand starts playing with my hair, combing it out a bit.

"Dawn, I know it feels that way now, but it won't always. Things will get better with time."

Some how that doesn't make me feel any better.

"And I know that doesn't help much. But you said yourself that Faith said she didn't want to break up with you."

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

"So?"

"Well, if she doesn't want to break up with you, then that means you're still together. And if you're still together, then maybe if you wait things out, she'll come back and tell you how sorry she is for doing what she did to you and you'll get back together. Just like old times."

Yeah right, like that'll happen.

"Right, because things always worked out that way for you."

Silence follows my words and I think for a second that she'll leave me alone now. Until, she takes a deep breath and opens her damn mouth.

"Dawn, I know that you're upset right now, but this isn't about me and my relationships. If you want me to, I'd be willing to talk to Faith for you. See if I can get her to change her mind."