Tears of Joy

We rush down the hall of the hospital, on my way to Faith's hospital room. Buffy, Willow and Tess follow behind me reluctantly as I shove people out of my way the best I can.

She's awake... I have to see her, she's awake. Whether anyone else wants me to or not, I have to see her.

"Come on Dawn..."

Buffy grabs my arm but I brush her off.

"No..."

Buffy keeps trying to get me to stop and go with her, but there's no way I'm going anywhere except to the woman I love. I've waited seven weeks for this moment, I won't miss it now. Not even if some evil hell god demon thing comes after me so they can cut me open and end the world with my blood. None of that means anything unless I can see Faith again.

I don't care about the fact that the demon called me The Key. Glory's the only one that ever called me The Key, and that's because there was only ever one time when my blood could be used to open up the doors to the dimensions. Or so Giles once told me after everything with Glory was all over. He looked into everything he could find on The Key and told me I would never have to worry about anyone coming after me.

So it doesn't matter why that thing was after me or what it wanted me for. It won't get it, especially since it is dead for good now. The slayers killed it and it's not coming back. All that matters now is Faith.

My girl's room comes into view and I run towards it, ignoring the nurse's objection.

"There's no running in the hospital."

Screw the nurses. I have to see Faith.

Pushing through the door of Faith's room, I think my heart almost stops when I see Faith sitting up on the bed. Her eyes meet mine and already I feel like I'm gonna break down and cry. She smiles at me.

"Dawn..."

Oh my god... it's really real. She's really, truly awake.

Instinct has me running at her, wrapping my arms around her as soon as I'm in range. I sit on the edge of her bed to be as close as I can be to her.

"Faith... oh... Faith thank god..."

She puts her arms around me while the others finally come in and join us.

"You're awake..."

There's a gentle chuckle from her before she responds.

"Yeah, I did notice that."

She squeezes me a little tighter and I do the same to Faith when I can't stop the tears from coming out.

"I was so worried about you. I... I thought..."

"Hey..."

We let go of each other and our eyes meet. She's got a sad smile on her face.

"You don't have to worry about that now. I'm awake and everything's gonna be fine."

That makes me smile a little behind the tears. Seconds later, I lean forward slowly into a kiss. Our lips press together and she tastes like heaven.

I never thought I'd get to feel these lips again. There were so many times, despite what the doctors kept telling me, that I just had to wonder if she'd ever really wake up. Whether she'd ever hold me like this. I didn't know if I'd ever feel her hand touch my cheek like she is now. It's all so unreal.

Faith and I break our kiss and look into each other's arms. I reach out to her, pushing her hair back out of her eyes to look as deep as I can.

"I love you."