Irrational Rationality

Her heart beats endlessly in my ear as I lay my head on Faith's chest, the same place it's been since we went to bed hours ago.

God, that's such a beautiful sound. All that gentle, rhythmic thumping gives me such a good feeling inside. No matter how many times I hear it, I never get tired of it. That wonderful beat is so simple and yet so beautiful at the same time. I don't know how I could've ever worried that it would stop.

Reaching up gently, I place my hand on her naked chest to feel what I've been listening to with my fingers.

Maybe, I did the right thing by casting that spell on her while she was in a coma. I mean, everything did end up working out in the end. Faith's awake and she's completely healthy. She may have had a problem or two because of it but she's recovered now and she's fine. The demon is dead. Everything worked out for the best in the end.

So maybe... it was a good thing that I cast that spell on her. I don't know that things would've worked out the way they did if I hadn't. And since everyone I've ever loved almost always ends up getting taken away from me, maybe I did the best thing by not waiting around for Faith to be the next one.

If doing the spell had been the wrong thing then some terrible disaster would've happened by now, wouldn't it? Tara always used to say that the universe has a way of balancing itself out when it needs to. So why hasn't the universe balanced itself out yet and done something terrible? Unless Faith getting hurt was the thing that unbalanced it and the spell I did that eventually woke her up was what balanced it out.

What other explanation could there be?

I can feel her chest rise and fall under me as her calm, steady breathing lets me know that she's alive. Every breath seems to make me feel even more alive then I feel, and I let my hand caress her skin lightly.

Faith and I are together and everything's perfect. That's the only thing that matters. Anything else that might've happened is in the past and doesn't matter anymore. The two of us are the only thing in the world that makes any difference.

She shifts under me in what I think is her sleep, but the sound of her voice quickly puts an end to that theory.

"Hey... you still up?"

Slowly, I turn my head up to look in her eyes and she's smiling down at me, sleepishly.

"Yeah, couldn't really sleep."

There's a look of concern in her eyes.

"Wanna talk about it?"

Without really moving all that much, I shake my head.

"No I'm... I'm okay. I worked it out on my own. But thanks."

Faith reaches out and tucks my hair behind my ears.

"Well, I'd still like to know what was keeping you up so late. It must've been pretty important to keep you up."

I can't tell her what I was thinking about. She'd... I don't know what she'd do actually, but I'd rather not take the risk.

"I... you know it wasn't life threatening, world ending type stuff. It was just some random thought I was having about something."

Her concern turns to slightly confused.

"About?"

Why isn't she letting this go? Now I actually have to think of... well, at least it's half true I guess.