Awkward Moments

Sunlight shines through the room as I wake up in the arms of the woman I love, her warmth making me feel safe. My eyes open to the most beautiful sight I've ever seen.

She's so beautiful.

Reaching out, I caress her face. The touch of my hand makes her stir and she opens her eyes, immediately smiling when our eyes meet.

"Good morning..."

She chuckles and puts her hand on mine while it touches her cheek.

"Morning..."

A single fake cough brings us out of the loving stare we've found in each other's sights. We look up and I feel like I'm gonna die. Buffy stands over us in her yummy sushi pajamas, arms crossed over her chest with a less than pleased look on her face.

"Good morning, Dawn... Faith..."

Faith and I look at each other for a second as I feel a little like I'm going to panic. My girlfriend keeps her cool though.

"Hey B... did you sleep okay? I know I did."

Oh that's not going to help the situation.

"I slept just fine Faith. Of course, I didn't realize that the waking up part would be such a problem. What with the breaking of the rules in the middle of the night and all."

"That... that was my fault Buffy. I, I couldn't sleep. I was scared and lonely and I thought maybe if I lay down with Faith that I might feel better. And I did."

Buffy looks at both of us silently for a while.

"But, we didn't... you know... there was no..."

Maybe I should just show her.

I pull off the covers to show my sister the fact that we're both fully clothed, or at least clothed enough that we didn't do anything to each other. The second the covers come off though, my sister looks away and scoffs.

"Dawn... I really don't want to see that."

"Look, we're both still totally clothed."

My sister slowly brings her look back like she's afraid of what she's going to see before realizing there's nothing to be scared of.

"There was no naughty touching. The only touching we did was holding each other all night."

She stays silent for a while and I honestly don't know that she's got something to say to that.

"Okay..."

Okay?

Before either of us can ask, Buffy turns around and heads for the kitchen. Faith and I look at each other, both of us with a slightly confused look on our faces. We get out of the makeshift bed we've been sleeping in, straightening ourselves out and then following my sister into the kitchen. When we get in there, Buffy is busy rummaging through the pots and pans like she does every morning for breakfast, except she's doing it with one arm.

Why didn't she yell at us? I was expecting yelling. But there isn't any yelling. She's just doing what she normally does. It doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't she be yelling at us?

"Buffy?"

My sister looks at me for a second before putting a pot under the tap and turning on the water.

"Hmm?"

"You okay?"

The pot fills up with water and then she turns the tap off.