Loving and Longing

The door opens and the three of us walk in. I go in first, dragging Faith along with me since my hand is firmly gripping hers, and Buffy brings up the rear. We kick off our shoes and unwind after a night of actual fun.

Now that's something I never thought we'd have. A night of actual fun with Buffy. It's been a while since I actually had fun with Buffy around. I almost can't remember the last time that happened. Probably a year, maybe even longer than that. Most of the fun I've had over the last year or so has been with my friends, or Faith. Of course, I can't say I hate all the fun I've been having with Faith. We've done so many great things with each other, and to each other, in the time we've been together. But I guess I didn't realize how much I missed just hanging out with my sister and having fun.

Faith pulls me to her, wrapping her arms around me and kissing me softly.

Mmm, sometimes I miss hanging out with my sister. Except for when Faith kisses me like this, then I barely remember who she is.

There's a beep from the answering machine and Buffy speaks up.

"Looks like we've got a message."

Pulling away from Faith suddenly, I look at my sister.

Ooh, maybe it's Derrick.

"It could be Derrick."

My girlfriend nudges me slightly in her arms and I look at her.

"I kinda hope it's not."

Hearing her saying that has me a little confused.

"He only just met Buffy. If he called this early, it might make him look desperate or insane or something."

Hmm, she does have a point.

"Okay well, it could be from someone else maybe."

There's another beep on the machine before the message starts. Giles' voice speaks up in that serious British tone of his.

"Buffy, Dawn... I sincerely hope you receive this message soon and that you aren't out hunting that demon. I realize that you were planning to wait until Buffy's arm was healed, but I also know how Buffy likes to disregard doctor's orders on a regular basis."

That has me smiling.

He's still looking out for us like he always does. It's sweet.

"Now, I would have to have a better visual to be sure, but from the description you gave me..."

The sound of ruffling through papers can be heard over the phone.

"You described a large, well muscled, white skinned demon with beady eyes and a snout not unlike a werewolf... we may have found the demon you're looking for in our research. I believe it may be a Faraquad demon. This demon is typically very strong and fast as you described. I would venture to say that its power could rival that of three fully trained slayers if anything. It's also quite an intelligent demon and isn't generally out for the pleasure of destruction. More often than not it only attacks in the way you described when contracted to by something else. Please exercise extreme caution when tracking the Faraquad. If you require additional assistance, please return this call and I will have a group of slayers come out as soon as possible."

A short pause follows his long winded explanation of the demon.

"Be careful, please..."

Then he hangs up and the message ends. None of us says anything right away, taking in what Giles left on our answering machine.