Letting Go of Friends

Sitting alone in the cafeteria, I pick at my food a little, not sure if I want to eat it... or anything else right now.

Well, I did it. I applied for all those colleges, like I was supposed to. It's not something I really wanted to do right away, but my teachers really didn't give me much of a choice in the matter. All day today, all my teachers talked about were which colleges were best for the courses they were teaching us all year. Like they were trying to sell us on the idea of making a career out of what they like to teach.

Except I don't want to make a career out of what they teach, I want to make a career out of what most of them refuse to even acknowledge exists in the world. Vampires and demons and other monsters that aren't even in any of the textbooks I've been reading this year. There isn't a class that I can take for that. The only class that comes close is folklore and mythology, and that class spends most of its time proving why none of them actually exist and how they're all a figment of someone's imagination. Even my teacher doesn't believe in it, I asked him, which is kinda insane with the world we live in and the things that I've seen.

He did say that Stanford was the best school to keep studying this kind of thing though, so I guess that's the best place for me to go. Maybe I'll manage to find a couple people who actually believe and have come into contact with the real thing. With so many slayers out there now around my age, it'd be almost impossible for me NOT to. And if I don't, then I must be as useless as I feel sometimes.

I just hope that Stanford accepts me. Applying to go there doesn't mean a thing if they don't want me there, and I've got more than a couple black spots on my school record, not to mention my grades have a bit of a tendency to go up and down at the drop of a hat. Which is only really partly my fault most of the time, but they aren't really gonna care about that. All they're gonna be able to see is what's on my record, and that'll probably get my application thrown out the window with very little thought put into it.

I stick a fork into one of the meatballs from my spaghetti and meatballs and take a bite out of it, chewing it for a while before swallowing. While I'm doing that though, I notice one of my best friends and one of the biggest bitches in the world making their way over to see me. They smile as they get within range of sitting down with me.

"Hey girl..."

Tess sits down right away, while Candy is pretty hesitant about it, never quite sure whether she should or not. My non-slayer friend looks at her like she's crazy.

"Candy, come on, sit down..."

That makes Candy sit down really uncomfortably in the chair next to Tess.

All right, so I'm gonna have to do this.

Avoiding eye contact with Candy, I smile at Tess and finally speak.

"Hey Tess..."

The bitch who tried to kiss me somehow gets the idea that it's okay to play nice.

"Hey Dawn..."

Rather than respond, I just ignore her, focusing on Tess.

"What's up?"

Tess gets this almost sympathetic edge to her smile.

"Well, I was kinda wondering that about you? We both were. I heard about what happened between you and Faith from some of the girls at the dojo. Are you okay? Is there anything I can do to help?"

Her question finally gives me a reason to make eye contact with Candy, trying not to make my glare seem all that obvious.

"No... I think you guys have helped more than enough."