Finding Someone Special

"What about him?"

Buffy looks at the guy I'm pointing at, watching him for only a second before shaking her head. The guy is cute with slicked back brown hair and looks pretty built.

"Nah..."

What?

"Why not?"

She shrugs and takes a sip of her drink.

"He's not really my type."

My first instinct is to scoff at her.

"Come on Buffy, what's wrong with him? He's good looking, and the way he acts it seems like he actually reads. Go talk to him."

She shakes her head again.

"I don't want to."

"Why not? What is it that makes him not your type? He's not a vampire is he?"

My girlfriend speaks up.

"Actually Dawn, I think that would make him exactly her type."

Her comment has us both smiling, while Buffy glares back.

"I'm not dating any more vampires. Besides, how do you know he's not one?"

Immediately, I look to Faith and she shakes her head, giving me the answer. Buffy looks at Faith and glares.

"You're not helping."

She smiles.

"No I don't think I'm helping you, at least not in the direct sense right now, but then that's not the point. The point is to win points with your sister by being here helping you."

Well, Faith is right about that. Being here to help me convince Buffy to get out and date again is definitely winning her points.

Buffy sighs audibly.

"Look, he's not my type. I'm not going over there."

Does she have to make this so hard? She agreed to come out here. It took me about a week to finally wear her down enough to agree, but she did. So why now all of the sudden is she being so picky about the guys I point out?

A nice looking guy walks right past our table and I know I have to try.

"What about him? He's cute..."

My sister actually takes a good look at this one.

"I don't know... doesn't he kind of remind you of Riley? I'm not dating anyone who might remind me of someone I used to date. It could get messy."

What kind of excuse is that?

"Buffy, he doesn't look anything like Riley. Besides, you're not out here to start dating anyone. You're here to maybe meet someone you might think about dating. So just TALK to the guy."

She finishes off her drink and lets out an obvious fake gasp when she sets the glass down on the table.

"Or I could just go get another drink instead. You know, I think I'll do that."

Buffy slides out of the booth before me or Faith can stop her and she heads over toward the bar. My eyes immediately meet Faith's and I can't help but sigh.

"Well this is going great don't you think?"

Her comment has me chuckling a little.

"She's just gun shy I think. Like she said, she hasn't dated anyone since The Immortal, and that kinda happened suddenly, a lot like the rest of her relationships. Probably why it didn't work out."