Battle Ready

My key slides into the lock of my place and I turn it, opening the door. With the door unlocked, I go inside. As soon as I'm in, I see Buffy standing in the middle of the apartment with the scythe in hand, both hands actually.

She doesn't have her arm in a sling. I guess she must've healed up faster than we thought she would.

Buffy looks at me out of the corner of her eye but doesn't say anything as she moves slowly, doing her Tai Chi. She moves the scythe in her hands, switching grip positions whenever she needs to so she can keep her movements flowing.

She always looks so graceful when she does this. Of course, being her sister, I know better than to think that she's this coordinated all the time. But she still manages to pull it off sometimes, particularly when she's fighting. I kinda wanted to learn this a couple years back, but quickly realized I really didn't have the patience for it. Tai Chi is all about slowing down and focusing, which really isn't easy for me. Sure, give me a book or something to read and I can sit for hours going through it, but without something to focus on other than myself, I just can't really stand still long enough to learn it.

Then again, I'm not on the front line of a war against demons and other evil things in the world. I don't have to be in perfect fighting form so I can attack evil things at a moment's notice. Only in extreme circumstances do I ever get asked to do any fighting, and even then if Buffy can avoid sending me into battle, she will. Either that, or in situations like when she asked me to help train her students at the dojo, but that only happened once so far in my entire life, and I don't think it'll happen again. Probably for the same reasons I'm never asked to fight any battles that might happen. So I guess it doesn't matter that I don't have the patience for Tai Chi.

My sister comes back to her normal starting position and holds it for a second before looking up at me and smiling.

"Hey..."

Closing the door behind me now that her Tai Chi is over, I make my way into our apartment.

"Hey... sorry I interrupted."

"It's fine, I was almost done anyway."

While I walk into the kitchen to get myself a snack, she goes into her room to put the scythe away in the weapons chest she keeps it in.

"How was your date with Faith? Did you have fun?"

I know she's gonna hate me for saying this. She always does, but I just can't help myself.

"Oh yeah, we danced, we talked, we made out like crazy."

From the other room, I can hear my sister groan in mock disgust that might not have much mock in it.

"You know, that joke gets even less funny every time I hear it. Not to mention the gross out factor of hearing my sister talk like that. Someone should really wash your mouth out with soap."

Picking up a bag of chips, I walk back out into the main hall of our apartment and start eating. Buffy is there already, working out her left arm.

"I seem to remember you trying that already when we were younger and it didn't work then either."

"Well you know the old saying, if at first you don't succeed..."

All I can do is laugh at her before eating a couple chips.

"Yeah, good luck with that."

She frowns at me disapprovingly.

"Don't talk with your mouthful."