Arguments You Regret

The door clicks shut behind me and I throw my school bag on the floor out of the way of the door.

"Dawn? Is that you?"

I hear her voice and I kinda dread what's about to happen.

"Yeah, it's me."

Buffy comes in from the kitchen with a smile on her face.

"I'm glad you're home."

She walks right up to me and gives me a hug. There's a long moment of silence where we just enjoy each other's company like we always do and then we pull away.

"How was school?"

"Oh you know... it was school."

That gets a laugh out of her.

I should probably try my best to get as many of those as possible. She's not gonna be laughing soon.

"Yeah, I do know."

She starts walking back towards the kitchen.

"Did you go see Faith after school?"

"Mhmm... I wanted to talk to her about something."

"Oh yeah? Well I'm sure you both got a LOT of talking done."

Ugh...

"Okay, I REALLY didn't need to hear that."

She laughs. I follow her into the kitchen and feel nervous that I'm about to disappoint her.

"So... what did you want to talk to Faith about?"

"Just about our plans tonight..."

Our eyes meet as Buffy raises an eyebrow at me.

"Do I even want to know about this?"

An uncomfortable silence falls on us for a second.

"I wanted to tell her that Candy and the girls asked me to go clubbing tonight. And I said yes..."

"Oh... when are you going?"

"Seven..."

"Dinner won't be ready until seven Dawn."

"I know."

My sister stops what she's doing and faces me, crossing her arms over her chest, a not so happy look obvious on her face.

"Wait... so you're blowing off dinner?"

This is going really well.

"I'm not blowing it off. I just want to go out with my friends instead."

She stares at me for a few moments.

"Otherwise known as blowing off dinner..."

I scoff at her.

"Come on Buffy, it's not like I've never done it before. There was that whole couple month period last year where I barely came to dinner at all because I was out clubbing. It's just, now I'm actually asking if I can go out instead of blowing it off. What's your damage?"

Buffy sighs heavily.

"My 'damage' is that you're going out clubbing instead of staying home and having dinner. Plus, we haven't been spending a lot of time together lately and that bothers me."

When she says that, I can't help but feel bad for going off on her.

"We've grown apart since you started dating Faith and everything. It bothers me that we don't spend enough time together."