That Key Thing

Pushing the door open, I walk into the cafeteria for what feels like the first time in a long time.

It feels like I haven't been here in a couple months, not a couple weeks. I stopped in from time to time to pick up homework and stuff, but otherwise I spent most of the last eight weeks at Faith's side. The place where I should be right now. There's no need for me to be here. No reason for me to sit around and learn things I don't really care about. What does matter is over at my sister's dojo right now, flipping through useless books.

I make my way over to a table and just sit down, no lunch to speak of.

They aren't going to find anything, because there's nothing to find. That demon was looking for something that doesn't exist. The Key is gone, it died with Glory. And it's not coming back. Not ever. I know that. So there's nothing left to research. Except Buffy still insists that it's important, no matter how stupid an idea I think it is. She's always doing that... assuming the worst, even when there's nothing worth assuming.

Not that Faith actually knows why Buffy is so focused on finding this demon's master or whatever. At least, I'm pretty sure she doesn't know. Because... I know that I haven't told her about it, and I'm pretty sure Buffy hasn't told Faith about it. And even though I'm sure Willow could tell Faith about it, I don't think she will. If she were, she probably would've done it by now, and I would've heard from Faith. She'd probably want to yell at me for not telling her... I think.

I'm not really sure how Faith would react to finding out I didn't tell her about the demon wanting to find The Key. Maybe she might be okay with it. But I've been wrong before about my assumptions. All those times I was worried that she might have a problem with something I said or did, she was okay with them. She brushed them off like they were nothing. What if this time is different though? What if it's different because this time Buffy thinks that my life is in danger that Faith will want to yell at me for not telling her? It's... it's probably better that Faith doesn't know.

There are a lot of things I think Faith would be better off not knowing about what happened while she was in a coma. Like the spell, for one. I did the right thing by casting it when I did. I know I did. She doesn't need to know about the good things that happened while she was unconscious. They don't matter anymore. The only thing that matters is what's happening now. We're together, and we're happy that way. Or at least, as soon as Buffy gives up this crazy wild goose chase that won't find anything we will be.

When I hear the nearby door open, I look up, almost as if fate wanted me to, I see Candy and Tess walking through, into the cafeteria.

Of course, there's still a chance that everything could come crashing down around me I guess. If Candy ever decided to tell Faith, or my sister, about the spell I did, I don't think things would go so well for me. My sister would definitely go nuts. She'd probably rant and rave about how terrible a thing I did and try to ground me or something. Not that she can ground me, I'm 19 years old, but she'd try. And if she did, I'd just go stay with Faith for a while until she calmed down. Assuming that Faith didn't hate me too for what I did.

She'd at least give me a chance to explain before doing anything about it... I think. Faith knows we missed our anniversary, and she knows that it was kind've a hard time for me. So it's possible that she'd just let it go and move on. But... I don't really know for sure so I'd rather not take the chance. And as long as Candy doesn't say anything, being the only person other than me who knows what I did then I won't ever have to find out, which is probably for the best.

I did the right thing, casting that spell. It made everything work out for the best and now everything's fine. Anyone who doesn't understand that, isn't really my friend. They couldn't be. I just wish I knew for sure where Candy falls in. She hasn't said anything about the spell to anyone, as far as I know. Except that she wasn't exactly understanding about what I did after she found out. She might not have yelled like Buffy would, but she was definitely on my case.