The Netflix Movie Rant

If you couldn't tell by the title, this is an authors note. Phew. Okay, so I just watched the new movie about Death Note which can be found on Netflix for those who want to get triggered. Also, SPOILERS!!!

Let's start with the few good things in this movie. So, Watari is still Japanese. L has his obsession with candy. Ryuk is well made in this movie, though the original movie was much better at it, in my opinion. 

Now, uh. Time for the stuff I hated about this movie. Oh, where do I begin? Maybe with the fact that Light isn't the smartest kid in school? Yeah. He also just up and got detention after getting the Death Note, after it literally dropped from out of the sky and fell right beside him. When he's in detention, he meets Ryuk for the first time. Yeah. WITHIN THE SAME DAY HE GRABBED IT. Also, apparently he's in High school here? Perhaps I am mis-remembering something here, but I was fairly sure that he was at the end of his High school career by the time the show started. And I was fairly sure Misa wasn't going to the High school he attended in the first place.

Oh, and Misa. Oh! I'm sorry, I mean MIA. They changed her whole FUCKING name! I mean, sure they changed Light's last name, but at least they kept his first name. Light shows her that he can kill people and her first response is, "oh shit I'll fuck that till tuesday. Sloppy make outs bITCHES". Also, Rem doesn't exist. Nor Jealous, if any of you still remember that one. I mean, they just threw out great characters that were in some way or another important to the plot. 

I mean, hell, sure I can get behind throwing Light's mom out of the picture, but Light's sister? And Matsuda! He doesn't exist either. But you know high characters that are missing that made me upset about this movie more than anything? 

.

..

...

.....

.......

NEAR AND MELLO.

That is something. I cannot stand! Like, Near ends up killing Light. Mello is eating chocolate and being a member of the mafia. Very important people we have here! But, no, hah! They aren't real! Half of the fucking cast of this Fanfiction aren't in the new movie! No Matsuda, Mello, Matt, Near, nope! No one!

Look, I was alright with L being played by someone of a different race than the person in the source material. I really was. I kept an open mind about it. But the way he acted in the movie. Oh hell no. He was constantly letting his emotions get the better of him, and the same goes for Light! Light in the anime was clever, cunning. Light in the anime wanted to kill for the greater good. To stop crime, and cover his tracks throughout the whole thing. But Light here acts like he doesn't understand the consequences of what he's doing. He doesn't attempt to truly cover his tracks at all, the only one who does is MIA, who acts more like the anime Light than this Light. 

L literally tried to kill Light twice throughout the course of the movie. And, this was after he told Light, TO HIS FACE MIND YOU, "I don't kill people. I bring them to Justice." 

Look, I'll be real. I didn't want to watch the movie because I knew this would happen. I knew there was going to be a spin on the original work, and I watched it anyway. I watched it fully knowing that this was going to be different. And yes, there are many things that bugged me, but you can only do so much with a movie that's an hour and forty-eight minutes long with a story as complex as Death Note. It was more than a story about a man killing to become a god.

It was about society. How we chase each other around so much that we blur the line between good and bad. One person will manipulate the next to get what they want, like Light did. The other will try to understand that and make it end, like L. In truth, this concept can stretch farther than we think. And it sticks with us. This is a story that was so compelling to watch for so many people that it had multiple movies made for it. And sure, not all of us will like them all.

Because we are society.

Sorry for getting a bit saucy at the end there, but yeah. This was my rant on the movie. If you guys like the movie, that's fine! I liked the movie more than I thought I would, even if I did nitpick it through.

Have fun you guys. And, if you want, go watch the movie. Then, I don't know, why don't you post in the comments what you thought about it? Bye bye!