chapter 18

(Y/N POV)
Today, my goal was to make up with Tyler.

I felt horrible. I had yelled at him, and I hadn't talked to him for a week. He had made every effort to be out of the house and only came back after I was asleep. Instead of sleeping next to me, he slept in his own bed. I knew, because I checked on him every night when I had nightmares. I wished Tyler was there to comfort me.

Morning came quickly. I got out of bed, and after I heard soft footsteps from Tyler's room, I snuck into the kitchen.

"Tyler, can we talk?" I asked quickly, and he turned to look at me.

"Sure." He stood there, waiting for me to say something.

"Can we go in your room?" I asked nervously, and he nodded. Slowly, I walked into Tyler's room, mentally preparing myself for rejection.

"Let me just start off by saying that I love you. I will always love you, and I always have loved you. And I am so sorry for saying all that stuff. I need you, Tyler. I need someone to call me Sunshine, to make me feel better when I cry. I need someone to hug me when I have horrible nightmares. Tyler, I need you. And I am sorry," I said. He listened intently.

"You can't apologize your way out of everything," he said, and I was stunned. I felt hurt, when I saw a smile start to creep across his face. He opened up his arms. "Come here, Sunshine."

I hugged him tightly, and kissed him softly on the lips. We stayed that way, cuddling on Tyler's bed.

"What time is it?" I asked tiredly.

"Five AM," he said quietly.

"Why were you up so early?"

"To talk to you," he said, and I started to fall asleep in his arms. "Sleep well, Sunshine."

I slept soundly in Tyler's arms. He was so warm, he smelled amazing, and he was such a sweet person. I just loved him.

A few hours later, I woke up. Tyler was gently running his hands through my hair, and I looked up at him.

"Hey," he said.

"I'm hungry," I answered, and he laughed.

"When aren't you hungry?" He stood up and offered his hand. I took it, and we walked into the kitchen, where Josh was sitting at the table, writing something.

"What's that?" Tyler asked, and Josh pulled it away.

"Nothing." He hid it in his hands, trying to make sure we didn't see it.

"Josh, let me see!" Tyler yelled, trying to grab it.

"No!" Josh yelled. "I'm working on, uh, something. And you can't see until it's done." He was blushing, and I was confused, until he started to walk away and I saw two of the lines on the paper.

"Did you get a chance to read it, Tyler?" I asked quietly, hoping with all of my soul that he hadn't. Oh, if he had, things would get... complicated. I could tell by the look on his face he hadn't seen it.

"Nope," he said. "Anyway, what do you want to eat?" I was instantly relieved that he hadn't asked me if I'd seen it either.

"I don't know. I should make something," I said quickly. Cooking and baking would have me distracted for a little bit. It was lunchtime. "Want hamburgers and fries?"

"Of course!" Tyler answered enthusiastically, and he sat down at the table.

I grabbed all of my ingredients and started cooking, while Tyler and I started talking about his next album. I could tell that he was thrilled, by the way his eyes lit up while he talked.

"I love hearing you talk about music," I said, and he blushed. "You get so excited."

"It's my passion. Music, it's what makes me happy. Music is how I express everything. I love it. I love it so much I can't even explain," he said.

"I am so glad that you have something like that, Tyler," I said. He looked off at the wall for a minute before speaking again. 

"Music can make things hurt less," he said simply. I cooked in silence for a while, the only sounds being chopping and sizzling.

"You hungry yet?" I asked, and he laughed, nodding enthusiastically. "Josh, lunch is ready!"

Josh came out of his room quickly as he sat across from Tyler.

"Set the table, children," I instructed, and begrudgingly they obliged. After the table was set and everything was cooked to perfection, we sat down and began eating.

"I love you so much," Tyler said, squeezing my hand under the table. Josh looked at him.

"I love you too," I said, a huge smile plastered across my face.

Then I remembered what the letter said, and my smile faded.

Don't ask what's wrong.

"What's wrong?" Josh asked, looking at me. His face turned a ghost white when he realized the possibilities. But he didn't ask. I suppose he didn't want to know.

"I'm fine," I said quickly, eating my food, but my mind kept drifting back to what I had seen on that letter.

In Josh's messy handwriting, it read:

Dear (Y/N),

It is time for me to tell you that I love you.