chapter 27

(JOSH POV)
Tyler told me I could go in and see (Y/N). Her memory had been odd. She had talked to me like I was her friend, but it seemed to fade more after each surgery. I could tell that Tyler was always devastated. When he was at home, I could tell that he always tried his hardest not to cry. It broke my heart.

I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel. I had no idea how (Y/N) had gotten so bad. Tyler had filled me in. She had gone into a freakout over my safety, and tripped and smashed her head on a rock. She had survived with minor brain damage, and she would return to normal, according to the doctors. The amnesia was a side effect of the surgeries.

Some days she was very happy and bright. Other days, she barely spoke. It had seemed to get worse lately. Almost like she was losing grip. But after her most recent surgery, she had been happier. She seemed better. If it weren't for the needles stuck into her arms and the tons of machines surrounding her hospital bed, I might've just thought she was a girl in for a checkup.

I pulled up to the hospital, not expecting very much. She'd failed to remember me the last few times I'd been there. At the moment, Tyler was busy doing something else, so it would be just the two of us. I was surprised that he'd even trusted me, but I had apologized profusely. I felt awful for trying to kiss her. I didn't know what I'd been thinking. I had vowed never to make another move on her again.

The nurse motioned for me to follow her. "She's been excited for your visit all day," the nurse commented. She had? I felt a little bit of hope blossom inside of me, like a butterfly, opening its wings for the first time.

I opened the door, and a huge smile spread across her face. "Josh! Come here!" I walked over to her and hugged her tightly.

"You remember me?" I asked, sitting on one of the chairs. She propped herself up.

"Uh huh! I couldn't forget my drummer boy. Tyler helped me remember things about you. I couldn't wait to show you!" A huge grin was plastered on her face, and I smiled. Tyler had helped her, and she remembered. She had remembered.

"That's great! I'm so happy for you," I answered. We chatted for a while, and she sung for me. I could tell that she was finally starting to remember. After her most recent surgery, she had seemed so much brighter.

For me, I had been crushed under fallen rocks but saved quickly and whisked away in an ambulance. No internal damage, thank goodness, and although I was bruised and scraped, I was fine. I'd been having dizzy spells lately, but I didn't feel the need to mention it.

By dizzy spell, I mean an overwhelming sense that the world was spinning. I sometimes felt like I was about to pass out, and sometimes I just needed to sit down. Occasionally, they came with pounding headaches. I thought it was dehydration. 

"(Y/N), do you ever just get overcome by dizziness?" I asked. Her happy look changed to concerned.

"No. That's not good, Joshy. The neurosurgeon told me that if it happens to me to tell them. It's not normal. You should really tell the doctor," she answered. As she spoke, I felt a headache coming on.

(Y/N POV)
"Joshy? Are you okay?" I asked. He was obviously in pain. He started to nod and loosened his grip. I expected a smile, but instead he slumped to the ground.

Panic.

Adrenaline surged through me as I reached up a trembling hand and smashed the "Call Nurse" button. Over and over until one appreared.

"What? What happened?" she asked, out of breath. I pointed to the unconscious man on the floor.

"He was talking, and he gripped his head like he had a headache, and..." I stopped talking when I realized that she wasn't listening. Doctors had filled the room.

Code blue.

Shakily, I grabbed my phone. The only thing on my mind was to call Tyler. It rang. And rang. And rang.

And went to voicemail.

I called. And called. And called.

"(Y/N), what? What happened?" he asked. He had finally answered, and he sounded a bit exasperated.

"Tyler, Josh's heart just stopped." My voice was shaky, and the words had an eery echo. I didn't like having to say them out loud.

"What?" he answered. I could practically see the color draining from his face.

(TYLER POV)
I nearly dropped the phone when she told me what had happened. My hands were shaking. I was pale. I couldn't understand what had happened.

I started to cry as she spoke again.

"Tyler, I think he's dead."