chapter 37

(TYLER POV)
The camping trip was amazing. I knew that (Y/N) wasn't the most outdoorsey person, but even she had fun. She especially enjoyed the s'mores. I always laughed at her love for food.

"Tyler, Tyler!" she yelled, parading into the room. "Okay, so, for the dinner tonight. The black dress or the red?" Her hair and makeup were already done and they looked gorgeous. She held up a short black dress and a floor-length red one.

"Red," I answered. She smiled and ran off to change.

My family had invited us to a black-tie dress dinner. She was worried that she'd be overdressed, but I'd already seen my mom and sister and knew that she'd fit right in. Obviously she'd met my parents before, but that was before we were even really dating.

"(Y/N), we have to go," I said, standing by the door. She rushed out, wearing her dress. "You look gorgeous."

"I know," she answered, kissing me on the cheek really fast and walking out the door. I followed her and we got into the car. "I'm nervous. I really hope no one thinks we're weird together."

"There's no way that will happen. Everyone always loves you, (Y/N). And most importantly, I love you. They wouldn't try to tear me apart from someone I love so much," I said, trying to comfort her. She smiled one of her huge, super-happy smiles. I loved when she looked like that. I hadn't seen her like that in a while.

"Alright, I'll trust you. But going by my usual standards, I'll probably screw something up." She held my hand as she drove to the restaurant we were all meeting at. "Tyler, if I mess up, promise you'll still love me."

"I loved you through car accidents, brain surgeries, amnesia, and heart attacks. A screw-up at a dinner isn't going to change anything." She blushed. "Don't you worry your pretty little head."

"I love you so much," she said quietly. "I'm going to try to be super duper nice to everyone."

"Just be yourself." I didn't have any other advice to give her.  She sighed. "You'll be fine. I promise."

"I'm trusting you, Tyler. You'd better cover for me if I mess up." She pulled into the parking lot and stepped out. "And I wouldn't be surprised if I do." She walked inside, where my mom, my dad, Madison, Zack, and Jay.

"(Y/N)! So good to see you!" my mom exclaimed, hugging her. She shook hands with my dad, and hugged Zack and Jay.

"Hey girl! I've missed you!" Madison said, hugging her tightly. "You look gorgeous!"

"Thank you! So do you!" (Y/N) answered. We sat across from them. The restaurant was packed with people. I knew most of them, but (Y/N) only knew our family. She looked extremely nervous.

"Hey. You're fine," I said, looking at her. She smiled at me a little.

We didn't really choose our appetizers, but we had pasta for dinner. Almost our entire table got spaghetti, except for my mom. She got an Alfredo dish. I could tell, even without asking, that (Y/N) was hungry. She always was.

"So, are you two sleeping together?" asked Zack, wiggling his eyebrows. (Y/N) turned bright red.

"Not in that way. We aren't married yet," she said quietly.

"Shut up, Zack," Madison said. "Ignore him. He's a total d—I mean, jerk. He's a total jerk." We had to be careful with swearing around our parents. (Y/N) laughed.

"It's alright. Siblings can be pretty annoying," she sympathized. "I bet it was a hassle to grow up with Tyler."

"For sure," Madison said, nodding and laughing a bit. "He's the worst."

"I'm right here, guys," I said, and everyone laughed. Good.

(Y/N POV)
I was super nervous around his family, except for Madison. I felt pressure to impress them with something about me. I tried to be funny, but his parents didn't really pay attention to what I was saying.

"Am I doing anything wrong?" I whispered.

"No! They really like you, (Y/N), I can tell." He smiled at me. The time passed quickly through conversations and eating, and finally it was time to go.

"I had so much fun with you tonight, (Y/N)," Tyler's mom said. "You are such a sweetheart."

"Thank you, Mrs. Joseph!" I answered. Tyler held my hand as we walked out. He started to speak, but he stopped and shook his head. 

I turned to Madison to say something, but I stopped when I heard a cracking noise. Tyler was on the ground, his head smashed against a rock. He wasn't breathing. I could barely think of what to do. I got down and started giving him CPR.

"Call an ambulance!" I heard Madison say. Everything was rushing around me, and all I could think about was the lifeless body before me.

I held his hand in the ambulance until I had to sit in the waiting room. All I did was cry and worry.

Nothing had ever happened to Tyler. He was virtually untouchable. He came out of a car accident with bruises. When the ceiling of the concert collapsed, he was barely touched. Now he was potentially dying.

"You saved his life," Madison said. "You heard the EMT. He would've been completely dead if it wasn't for you."

"I can't lose him, Madison. He's a musician. He has a beautiful voice and a beautiful brain. I can't lose him," I said. "I probably sound selfish right now. But I love him. I love him so much."

"It's gonna be okay," she said.

"The Joseph's? I have an update on Tyler." Oh god, oh god. No brain damage, please. Let him be alive. Let. Him. Be. Alive. Let him be himself.

"He made it through surgery. Minimal damage. He should be himself." I breathed a sigh of relief. "But-"

The dreaded word. Something was wrong. Something has to be wrong.

"But he may never wake up."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He's in a coma." Like Liza was. But probably worse.

Tyler was supposed to be untouchable.

He was.

He was supposed to be famous.

He was supposed to be a world-renowned singer and band member.

He was supposed to write a thousand songs.

But now he might never wake up.