chapter 30

(Y/N POV)
Oh, if only I'd been able to see my face when the doctor broke the news. I couldn't even imagine what I looked like, after seeing Tyler's reaction. He had completely changed since the news had been broken.

Today I was getting discharged from the hospital. I sat and waited as Lily finished up everything she had to do. No more needle pricks. No more hospital gowns. No more of the chemical smell that hung in your nostrils and stuck to your clothes after you left.

I would be nothing more than a visitor.

When the doctor had rushed in, saying, "Josh is alive", I wasn't sure how to feel. Shocked. Overjoyed. He hadn't died. Him and his weak heart had survived. He was going to be okay.

Tyler smiled and waved at Lily as he sat down in the chairs. She handed him a clipboard with a pen tied to it. Instantly I knew. My discharge papers.

Tyler initialed and signed about a thousand times before, finally, I was handed the clipboard and instructed to sign my name on the very last page.

(Y/N) (L/N).

And there it was, my signature, showing that I agreed that it was time to leave. I had finally finished up with all of my surgeries and treatments.

I was free.

Well, not quite yet. First I had to wait for everything to be processed. I had to shower and get dressed in my normal clothes. I had to make sure that everything was okay with Josh. I had already been forced to undergo my final exam, and everything was good.

Things seemed to be looking up for the both of us. Tyler had left, busying himself with the preparation of my "Welcome Home" gift. I didn't have any idea of what it could be. He refused to give me any hints, only that I was going to love it more than anything else I'd ever been given. He hadn't disappointed me with anything so far, and I trusted that his gift would be as good as I expected.

Once Tyler came back, I got in the hospital shower. It felt so nice to finally be able to get completely clean without any tubes or wires. I felt like a puppet that had finally gotten its strings cut. I scrubbed my hair with the shampoo that he had brought and conditioned it.

"You smell like a flower," he said once I had gotten dressed and come out of the bathroom. Having practiced on his sister, Madison, he braided my hair for me. I tried my best to sit still, but he still elbowed me every few minutes.

"Thank you, Ty," I said, kissing him quickly. "It looks great." He had honestly done a better job than I'd ever done. He laughed.

Finally, after about an hour, Lily came in, helped me gather my things, and hugged me tightly. "See you two weeks for your next checkup," she said softly. "I'll miss you."

"You were always my favorite, Lily," I said, smiling as I pulled away. "Hey, can we see Josh before we go?"

"Sure."

I had waited to see him for days now. But for some reason, the thought of it terrified me. I wanted to see Josh, alive and well. Of course, I'm sure it terrified Tyler even more. But I kept the thoughts to myself as we walked down the hall.

Room 513.

I walked in and stared at the weak boy in the bed. Hooked up to dozens of machines, he looked like he had no hope. But then again, so did I. In fact, it seemed like he had even less. There was a point where I had several IVs. He had plenty of machines, though. I recognized the heart monitor first.

It was beeping at a normal-sounding pace. It sounded good. Like mine did. I watched as he opened his eyes and smiled at me.

"Hey!" I said, sitting by him. "How are you feeling?" He flashed me a thumbs up. "Sore throat?" He nodded. I remembered the feeling. The intubation from the surgery really made you uncomfortable.

"I'm taking her home today," Tyler said. Josh grinned. "She's finally going to be out. But we are gonna visit you all the time. I got her s present."

"What is it?" he whispered, wincing only a little. I simply sat back, smiling. Tyler leaned over and whispered it in his ear. "Oh, she will love it."

"Yeah, Tyler, you better not disappoint me." I tried to look upset, but clearly it didn't work, because it was met with laughs. "Oh, Tyler, scoot over. The nurse is here."

This nurse, apparently named Agatha, was rough with Josh. She was harsh with her needle poking, shoving us aside. I watched as he simply sat quietly and agreed with whatever she was doing. I'd have to ask Lily if she could go see him.

"Tyler, we'd better go," I said, glancing at my phone. "Bye, Josh." We hugged him and walked out of the hospital.

Freedom.

We drove home silently, pulling up in front of Tyler's house. He was clearly thrilled about the present he was going to give me. He pulled me inside and handed me a wrapped box.

Inside was a beautiful ukulele with engravings across the side. Quietly, I read them. Written in Tyler's handwriting were the words "Stay alive. I love you." Underneath was his signature. Tyler Joseph.

"Oh, Tyler, it's beautiful," I said, hugging him. "Thank you."

"Stay alive for me, (Y/N). And I'll stay alive for you," he whispered in my ear. "I'll always stay alive for you."

"Don't you worry, Tyler. You're what's keeping me here." He kissed me softly. "I'll always be here for you."

We sat on the couch, cuddling.

I'd stay alive.

I'd stay alive for Tyler Joseph.