chapter 41

(TYLER POV)
I focused on her face. Her perfect face. I'd been woken up to have my vitals taken, but she was asleep on the chair. The sound of her breathing calmed me and I focused on it. For some reason she'd decided to stay with me until I got better. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad thing. It was amazing. I just never thought she'd sacrifice so much.

She'd only left a few times over the span of almost two weeks, and even then it was just to shower or get food. I could tell that Madison and Josh were worried about her, but they kept quiet. That was the right thing to do. She was doing it out of love.

There were so many things I couldn't remember. I felt awful whenever I forgot (Y/N)'s name, but I'd only asked her for it once. I just tried my best to say it in my head often so I wouldn't forget it. I also couldn't place the tunes that she hummed. I mentioned it once to her and she looked heartbroken, so I didn't say that again.

"Tyler?" she mumbled, lifting her head up. "Good morning. I brought you this." She lifted a little instrument out of her backpack. It looked like a tiny guitar.

"Do you want me to play it?" I asked, looking at her. She nodded. "Okay." I positioned it in my arms, still pondering the name.

"Ukulele," she said softly. She picked up my hands and placed my fingers on the strings. "This is a C." I strummed.

"I remember," I said quietly. "Ukulele." I strummed a few chords, and her eyes lit up.

"Do you know what you're playing?" she asked.

"Chords."

"No, I mean what song you're playing." Her eyes were filled with so much hope that I didn't know what to say.

"I don't know," I confessed. She sighed and leaned back. I handed the ukulele to it. "You play something."

"I'm not very good."

"I remember you being good. Play a song for me. Something I'll remember." She pondered for a moment, but then smiled. She started playing chords and singing.

As she sang, something inside of me awoke and I started singing along. Different words, though. Like it was a duet. Harmonies. We sang harmonies together.

"Do you remember that song, Tyler?" she asked, looking so insanely hopeful. "Do you remember why you know it?"

"I... I don't. I'm sorry," I said quietly. "You are a beautiful singer, though."

"You're better. I love your voice." She brushes a few strands of hair out of her face. "Oh, Tyler." She laid her head next to mine and I wrapped my arms around her. She buried her head in my shoulder.

"This makes me remember holding you," I said. She smiled a little bit. "I loved holding you. Still do."

"I love laying by you and just being near you in general. I love you. So much," she whispered, kissing my cheek softly. "You're perfect."

"You have the prettiest eyes I've ever seen. They're gorgeous," I complimented. She blushed and smiled.

"I think your eyes are even better. They always have so much sparkle," she said. I grinned. I don't know why but it made me feel special when she complimented me, and she looked adorable when she said anything. "You smell like vanilla."

"And hospital hand sanitizer," I added. She laughed. "You're not denying it."

"Well it's kind of true. But for the record, I like that smell. I just prefer the vanilla," she said, giggling. I laughed.

"What up losers," a voice said, bursting into the hospital room. "The party is here."

"Brendon! Hi!" (Y/N) said, hopping up and hugging him. "What's up?"

"I asked first," he said, running a hand through his hair. I laughed. "Hey, Tyler. You still alive?"

"Barely. By the time I get out of here I'll need my own Darth Vader suit," I answered. They both laughed. "Where's Sarah?"

"She's back at home. I'll let her know you asked about her," he said. I smiled to myself. Good, Tyler, you remembered. "Panic! is dropping an album tomorrow."

"Sick!" (Y/N) exclaimed, smiling. "I'll be your first download. Is this your first official release?"

"Yup. It's called A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. I think you're gonna like it."

"I have a feeling you'll get some amazing responses to this." (Y/N) and Brendon continued chatting as I sat quietly, trying to piece together memories.

What was that song I was playing earlier? I knew it with such confidence and it clearly meant something to her. I was so close. There was just one little piece that was missing.

One... little... piece....

My thoughts started getting cloudy.

The nurse came in and talked to (Y/N). She looked extremely excited. She turned to me.

"Everything is good. Tyler, you're going home!" I watched her sign papers, and I watched as I was driven home. I didn't really feel like I was present. I didn't feel alive.

I felt like everything was different.

The song said had said "I know I'm in love with you."

I knew when I wrote it. I was positive.

Something about me just wasn't sure anymore.