chapter 29

(Y/N POV)
You never think that your last words will be your last words. Although it was fuzzy, I remember what I had said. "Joshy? Are you okay?"

Now, I was wondering if those would be my last words to Josh. I only had to stay in the hospital for one more week, and then I could go home. I think. The doctor's words had all blurred together in my memory. My past memories had started to clear up, but I remembered next to nothing about school.

I had a huge scar across my head, but that wasn't the problem to me. My problem was how disappointed Tyler seemed to be with my progress. He asked me questions often, but my answers rarely ever made him happy. I didn't remember certain songs.

I felt like a disappointment. All I was good for was lifting up my arm and holding still for vitals. My wrist had been pricked so many times that I barely even felt it anymore. My previous fear of needles had disappeared. I had gotten used to it after being in the hospital for so long.

I was honestly slightly surprised that Tyler even stayed with me. He hadn't sang or played a song since I had been admitted to the hospital which I of course felt responsible for. He just seemed less happy. Maybe it was because he didn't want us to die. I don't know.

I knew that he was downstairs on the surgical floor. I was alone for a bit, so I opened my drawer and pulled out Tyler's ukulele. Josh had brought it to me, and I had been learning how to play it.

I hummed a simple, familiar tune as I strummed. I was practicing our love song duet that I had been frantically trying to learn the chords for. I knew most of the words, but it was hard to find a time when Tyler wasn't there.

I managed to stumble through the first verse, through the next few, and I made it through with only a few mistakes. There was no way that I was a master, but I knew Tyler would love it.

Finally, he made his way upstairs to go check on me. I was still sitting there, ukulele in hand, as he walked in. He looked at me, confused, but I simply smiled.

"Today, I sing you a song. Ahem." I looked down at my instrument."Sometimes you gotta bleed to know." Instantly, recognition crosses his face. I kept singing, kept singing, focusing on the sounds of the delicate strums. I didn't look up until I was finished, and I saw tears streaming down his face.

"You remembered," he said quietly, hugging me.

"How could I forget?" I answered. "I love you."

"I love you too." He smiled and sat on the bed with me. "Let me show you some strums."

So I sat and watched and listened as he helped me put my fingers in the right places and strum the chords. He taught me another short song.

We both forgot about our worries for a while and sang and played. I hadn't been really, really happy for while. Right now, I wasn't a random girl in a hospital room. I was (Y/N) (L/N). I was Tyler Joseph's girlfriend. I was me, and that was good enough.

Everything had been good. Today was actually happy for me. Seven days until I could go home and be a normal eighteen-year-old girl again. Until I'd be just a visitor in the hospital.

As we were singing, Lily, my favorite nurse, came in to mess with my I.V. and draw blood. She smiled at Tyler and looked at me.

"You two are quite a pair. And you have amazing voices," she complimented, grabbing a syringe. "Just a pinch, sweetheart."

"Oh, believe me, I know," I answered, laughing and holding up my arm. Tyler looked at me, concerned, as she stuck the needle into the crook of my elbow.

"Doesn't that hurt?" he asked, watching as the blood was drained from my arm. "There's a needle in you."

"There's several." I pointed to my I.V. with my other arm. "And yes, it hurts. But I'm pretty used to it by now." I smiled at Lily as she wiped off my arm and covered it with gauze and a bandage. Tyler walked over to me again.

"You're tough. I like that in a girl." He looked me up and down. "That's not the only thing I like about you." He leaned down and kissed me. Before I could pull away, he ran his hands through my hair.

It was moments like this that made me know he was the one. I hadn't ever felt like I couldn't trust him, and even though we'd been dating for plenty of time, kissing him gave me a rush. Being here with him gave me a rush. After he pulled away, I was still smiling.

And then the doctor rushed in.

Good news?

Or bad news?

I didn't know until he opened his mouth and started to speak.