chapter 19

(JOSH POV)
I should've torn up that letter when I'd had the chance. I should've crumpled it up when I left the table, because I knew right away that she'd seen it.

Of course she'd seen it.

I knew she wouldn't tell Tyler, but I felt horrible. I had no idea whether to keep silent and feel like a traitor, or come clean and be hated by my best friend.

I grabbed the piece of paper, and hastily scratched out what I had written. Erasing was not enough. I had to make sure that it wasn't visible anymore. I picked up my pencil and with a burst of words, I began writing.

(Y/N), I am guessing that you have seen my letter, or at least enough to come to your own conclusions. Please know, I have never intended to hurt your relationship.

You are like my sister, and I love you. It's a little confusing still, because I know I love you more than that- but please don't worry, I love you and Tyler more than I can ever explain and I wouldn't dare tear you apart.

I didn't plan to send the letter, or even hand it to you. I didn't plan for you to see it. I just needed to get my feelings out on paper.

(Y/N), I hope you understand that I do not want to lose you as a friend. And I love you, like a sister.

-Josh

I folded up the paper and wrote "For (Y/N) Only" in huge, dark letters. That way, Tyler wouldn't read it. Hopefully.

I put it on (Y/N)'s pillow, hoping that she would read it when she got back from the store. I walked out into the living room just as Tyler walked in to the bedroom.

I heard the rustling of paper. The unfolding of paper.

"Tyler wait, that's-" I began, running into the room. I saw him intensely reading the paper.

"That's what? Your love confession to my girlfriend?" Tyler said angrily, throwing the paper down.

"That's not what it was!" I said defensively, picking it up and folding it again. "You read it."

"Yeah, and she better not," Tyler said, attempting to grab it. I pulled it back. "Give it to me."

"No! I wrote it, I get to keep it." I put it in my pocket, out of his reach. "I don't want to break you two up."

"I bet you are!" Tyler yelled. Instantly, my eyes welled with tears.

"You really think I would do that?" I said softly.

"Yes, actually, I do. Because if you love someone, you act on it," Tyler said.

"But I-" I began, when (Y/N) burst in.

"I have had enough with your arguing! Clearly, it's about me. I can hear you yelling from down the hall, and I'm finished," she said. Before she could continue, I wiped my eyes, walked up to her, and handed her the letter. "And I am going to leave, so you shut up."

"No, please," Tyler whispered.

I watched her as she read the letter, scanning each line one by one, ignoring the TV blaring in the background. As she read it, she sat her purse down, as if she was planning to stay.

"Oh Josh," she said simply, grabbing a pencil and scribbled a response on the back. She refolded it and handed it to me, walking over to Tyler. "Come with me, Tyler." She grabbed his hand and walked into the room. I unfolded it and began to read.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your letter. I know you aren't trying to break us up, and I think you and Liza would make a good couple.

That being said, I love Tyler very much. He and I will be a couple for a long time. He is the one I hope to marry, and the only one I love. I hope you understand, but I know you do. You are like my brother, and nothing can take that away.

I'm sorry for the trouble the letter may have caused. It wasn't your fault.

Thank you & love always,

(Y/N)

As stupid as it sounded, I had become a little misty-eyed reading her response. Love always. I liked that.

(Y/N POV)

"I hate being the cause of your arguments with Josh. Please, please, stop. For me," I said. "I don't want to have to lose either of you. I don't want to be the one to ruin your amazing friendship."

"Okay," he said quietly. "I'm going to bed now. Goodnight."

"So am I. But I think I'll sleep on the couch." I got up to leave.

(TYLER POV)

She pulled her (H/C) hair onto her shoulders, running her hand through it. Sleeping on the couch. I didn't know the rhyme or reason behind it, but it seemed like that was what she wanted to do.

So I let her be.

"Goodnight, Ty," she said, kissing me quickly, messing with my hair for a quick second, and standing up again.

And she was gone.