chapter 31

(Y/N POV)
I didn't really like visiting the hospital. Waiting for the doctor to tell me the results of my checkup was always nerve wracking. Even just visiting Josh scared me. He seemed more awake with every visit. More alive. He only had one IV, and his heart didn't seem to speed up as much.

He hadn't had a surgery since the last one a week ago. Today we got to take him home, and Tyler was ecstatic.

I got in the car, smiling. Tyler was practically jumping up and down. We drove in silence to the hospital, both of us beaming. It was also the day of one of my checkups, so Tyler was going to be filling out the discharge papers as I got my brain examined.

What I hadn't told Tyler was that I had been getting little headaches. Nothing close to severe. Usually. But the pain was there. Occasionally I'd nearly fall to the ground in pain. I hoped it was something with my eyes.

I guessed that I'd find out soon.

We entered the hospital and I went up to the sixth while Tyler went to Josh's room. I had to get an MRI, which I hated. I felt so squished, but it wasn't too bad after all the times I'd had it.

I sat in the machine, closing my eyes, visualizing worlds with green meadows and soft grass that tickled instead of poked. I imagined a place where I hadn't gotten brain surgery, where MRIs didn't exist, and where my best friend didn't have a heart attack in my hospital room.

"All good," Lilly said as she helped me out. "You have nothing to worry about." Her smile seemed especially sweet today, and she smelled like lavender. It reminded me of my mom.

"Thank you, Lilly," I said, giving her a quick side-hug before heading out. Lilly was definitely gorgeous, but that wasn't what I had noticed. She was so comforting and motherly. "See you soon."

"Bye-Bye, (Y/N)," she said, giving me a quick wave. I took the elevator downstairs, where I waited for Tyler.

Sitting in the hospital waiting room was interesting. It wasn't busy, which was good. In the corner was a pale little girl with blonde hair wearing a doctor's mask. I was guessing that the receptionist had given one. She was clearly nervous, and I smiled at her. She smiled back. Her mom was filling out a few papers.

Next to them was a boy who seemed a little bit older. He wasn't wearing a mask, and he looked fine. I wasn't sure why he was there. Maybe for a checkup.

The little blonde-haired girl stood up and walked back into a separate room. I hoped she was okay. I watched as a pregnant lady walked in with her husband. It was definitely interesting, watching everyone come in and out.

Eventually, I got a text from Tyler telling me to pull the car up. I walked outside, feeling a little extra happy that day. I'd survived several brain surgeries with complications. Josh had survived his heart attack. Tyler had somehow escaped everything unscathed. We were like a family by now. The best family.

Tyler and Josh walked outside, chattering happily. Tyler got in the front, next to me, and Josh sat in the back.

"You guys hungry?" I asked. They both nodded, and I smiled. "What do you all want?"

"We should get Dunkin Donuts," Josh answered. "You down for that?" Tyler flashed a thumbs-up, and off we went.

I didn't think I'd ever meet my soulmate. I didn't think that the high school boy I had a crush on would be the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I was sure. Maybe I didn't have kissing experience before him, but everyone else's first kisses had just been a kiss. That was it.

Mine felt like the beginning of the rest of my life. When he sang that song for me, that's when I knew. And it just became even more certain as he stayed with me through everything. Through Josh. Through my hospital visits. Through everything.

I loved him.

We ate, talking about random things. Chatting. Friendly. These people were my best friends. No matter what, I knew that we were destined to meet. Destined to end up together.

As we got back in the car, I smiled to myself. We were finally going back to home, all in one piece. All together.

I pulled the car up to Josh's house.

We were home.

I walked inside, tossed my jacket on the couch, and smiled.

"Movie, anyone?" Tyler asked, putting on Netflix. We all sat on the couch, intently watching our movie. We didn't even notice Josh's parents roaming around.

"This is the best I've felt in weeks," I said, grinning. Tyler looked at me, a sly grin on his face as he spoke.

"Who's down for Taco Bell?"