chapter 42

(TYLER POV)
I knew, from the look on her face, something had been stripped from me. A memory. An action. A thought. But the way she looked in my eyes, with such pain and sorrow, was unparalleled.

She knew.

She knew that for some reason I wasn't absolutely positive that she was my soulmate. I'm sure she wanted to know the reason, but we both had the same questions.

"Why don't you love me?" she asked, her face blank. "What made you forget?"

"(Y/N), I don't know, I don't know why. I still love you," I answered.

"But you don't love me like you used to, Tyler, and I just can't understand. What did I do wrong?" She looked at me, her eyes without the same sparkle. "Who else do you love?"

"No one. I promise you. I'm forgetting everything," I said quietly. "I'm forgetting that my soulmate is my soulmate."

"Well maybe it was just a stupid high school fling." She looked angry as she spoke, and then sighed. "How much of high school do you remember?"

"I remember..." How much did I remember? "Nothing. I can't remember anything."

"Maybe that's why." She stood up. "I'm going to go get Chinese food. Want anything?"

"Nah, I'm good. See you in a bit." I waved weakly as she walked out the door. I couldn't believe it. Everything was falling apart. Everyone I loved was leaving. My memories were nearly gone.

What was the point in even living anymore?

I still loved her. Just not in the same way. Before I'd felt so much passion. In fact I couldn't even remember the first time we'd met. High school. But that was all I knew.

Josh and Madison hadn't come to visit and a while and I missed them. I really wanted to see them again. I felt so lonely. So lost.

I picked up the ukulele and began to play quietly. I knew the chords and the order, but I couldn't remember what I was playing.

"Hey, Tyler," Josh said, walking into my room. I grinned and waved. "What're you playing?"

"Don't know," I answered. "Do you?"

"Keep playing." I nodded and continued to play the song until what I assumed was the end. I looked at Josh but I couldn't tell what he thought. "That's your song, Tyler."

"My song? I wrote this?" I asked. "I wrote songs?"

"Tyler," Josh said, sitting down next to me, "do you remember twenty one pilots?"

"I don't know what that is." Josh looked at me, his eyes filled with sadness. "Can you tell me?"

"We were in a band. You and I. I was the drummer and you were the singer," he explained. "You were the lead singer."

"Lead singer, huh?" I said. "Was I good?"

"You were amazing," he said quietly, staring off into the distance. "Tyler, you were perfect."

We sat in the same room, both of us silent. We had separate thoughts. I was thinking about the songs that (Y/N) and I had sung earlier. It was a love song, I knew that. But I couldn't remember the words.

"I'm back. Oh, hey Josh!" (Y/N) said, walking into the room. "I would've gotten you something if I knew you were coming. Want some?" She offered him a dish filled with food I couldn't remember the name of, but it smelled heavenly.

"Nah, I'm good," Josh said.

"I want some. Please?" I asked. She laughed and dumped some in a paper bowl with a plastic fork. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," she answered, handing it to me. She and Josh began talking, but I was too busy trying to remember things to listen.

When did I realize she was The One?

I tried so hard to remember. All I wanted was to feel that way again. The way that filled me with such a rush. Something had made me know...

"So, how are you feeling today Tyler?" (Y/N) asked.

"Fine. It's so much better to be out of that hospital," I confessed. "It was honestly kind of awful being there."

"I bet." She picked at her food. "I had a horrible time being in the hospital. You always stuck by me."

"I remember," I said quietly. "I remember how much it hurt me to see you in pain."

"Oh, Tyler," she said. "You know I love you."

"(Y/N), you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and still, even if I don't feel the exact same way, the thought of losing you makes me extremely upset. You have the voice of an angel and I love you, I love you so much, and I'm so sorry that I can't remember. I'm sorry," I said quickly, trying my hardest not to cry.

"Tyler, it's alright, I'm not mad," she said, kissing me softly. I froze. "What?"

"Do that again," I said.

"What, this?" She kissed me again.

"Yes but... more romantic." She laughed a little bit and kissed me again.

Electricity.

The feeling of her lips against mine made me remember so many things, so many moments. I felt our connection when she did that. The way she kissed me just made me remember. I knew. I knew then.

"There, better?" she asked, pulling away. I kissed her again. "Woah, someone's forward." She laughed as she spoke.

"I remember," I whispered. She blinked. "I remember, (Y/N). I remember you're my soulmate."

"You do?" she said in disbelief. "You remember?"

"Yes. Yes I remember," I said. "Sunshine?"

"Yeah?" She looked at me, her eyes teary, a huge smile sparkling on her face.

"I know."

"Know what?" She looked at me, confused but hopeful.

"I know I'm in love with you."

I spoke with such certainty that I even surprised myself. She looked at me, tears streaming down my face.

Soulmates.