Chapter 56

Aaliyah's POV

The plane ride was hell, I couldn't get one wink of sleep because of the turbulence and Iain trying to feel up on me most of the ride didn't really help either, but it's not like I didn't enjoy it. A part of me was happy that it was finally gonna happen, the wedding. But there's always that tiny voice of doubt trying to plant a seed of indecisiveness. Would I be a good wife? Or more importantly a good mother? Two things I've never been. The pressure is suffocating.
The engines winding down pulled me out of my thoughts as the pilot notified us of our landing. Standing, I gathered my purse and followed Iain to the exit, helping him carry a bag and suit case I stepped down the rather steep stairs carefully.
My heels clicked against the concrete as I held my head down.

Straight ahead I saw our limo and police escorts waiting for us. I sighed heavily. 'I can't wait for this to be over already' I thought. How long does it even take to solve a case?

"Mr. and Mrs. Pliegue, how do you do?" The driver tipped his hat at us as we neared the vehicle. I glanced at his name embroided on his suit jacket.

"Trevor." I acknowledged. Handing over the bag and suitcase, I waved at the officers behind us. They gave me stiff nods back. Adverting my eyes I watched as Iain put the luggage in the trunk with Trevor and then open my door. I couldn't help but think how everything seemed to be in slow motion as I sat here....I felt I was moving slower than everyone else....I felt like I needed to keep up.

The door slammed as Iain sat next to me, unbuttoning his suit jacket button he gave me a dazzlingly cute smile. It was infectious, I gave a small but genuine smile back.

"I can tell something's wrong, what is it?" Iain questioned.

I sighed for the hundredth time today. Am I that much of a open book?

"Nothing's too wrong it's just...I feel like everything's slow...no I'm sorry. Me. I feel like I'm moving in slow motion, like you all are moving normally and I need to catch up."

Iain nodded his head as he looked at me attentively. I felt like he was inspecting me, as if he was looking for sign of a lie.

"Well, you just got out of the hospital... I think it's normal you're feeling like that, just give it time. You were sleep for a long while."

I raised my eyebrows, nodding a bit. Not discussing the matter anymore, I looked out the window as we passed various stores. I think he's right, maybe I just need time.

----------------------------------------------
Opening the front door I was attacked by a monster hug from Lilli.

"Lady Bug!!"

Squeezing her tightly, I gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Oh how we've missed you! You been good for Ginger?"

Lilli shook her head up and down.
"Yes yes! Where's dad?"

I pointed outside to Iain helping our chauffeur and police escorts get our bags from the trunk. I chuckled as Lilli went as fast as her leg would allow her down the front steps to meet her father. Walking further inside I saw Ginger in a deep sleep on the living room couch. I swear once she's asleep not even an earthquake can wake her.

"Gin!" No response.

"Gin!!" I exclaimed slapping her thigh. The resonating sound of flesh hitting flesh sounded throughout the living room. Jolting up, the book that was on her chest fell off as she looked extremely startled.

"Oh hey Aaliyah, how was Italy?" Rubbing her eyes Ginger tried to look alive and alert. I sat on the couch next to her and crossed my arms, ready to spill my heart and get sentimental.

"It was amazing, really. Long story short there was connecting, success, an argument and then a continuation of the wedding."

Ginger's eyes got big as saucers.
"The wedding's back on?" She asked in slight disbelief.

I nodded my head, looking straight ahead I was drowned in my thoughts.

"What made you decide?"

I bit my bottom lip, ripping off the skin. A bad habit I've had even when I was young, whenever I got nervous I started chewing my lip like it's a peice of gum.

"I didn't want to live with something I'd regret for the rest of my life." I replied.

"Getting married?"

I corrected her,
"Not getting married."

Nodding her head, Ginger gave a sympathetic smile. "Honey let me tell you a story."

Sitting up, Ginger put her knees to her chest and put her arms around them.

"I'm going to tell you how Jack and I decided to make the big leap. We are both noncommittal, assholes to put it fairly."

I snorted, agreeing with her statement.

"But when we first met it was like cat and mouse, push and pull. We had a connection I've never experienced before and I just couldn't stay away like a moth to a flame. We knew after awhile of this we had to do something about it, for God sakes he lived in my apartment by night! But we were both scared, noticeably. We feared the idea of ever being something more but when you can't live without a person Aaliyah, you just have to take the plunge. No matter the doubt, no matter the negative feeling. Because that? That doesn't matter, the love y'all have is more important."

I didn't know I was crying until Ginger wiped a tear from my cheek. I sniffed and spread my arms for an embrace.

"Thank you so much."
She squeezed me tight one time for comfort.

"What are friends for girly?"