one

i hugged my arms around my body as a shiver ran through my skin. although fall was my favorite season, the coldness sometimes made me dread it. also the fact that I knew winter was coming soon and right around the corner. and I didn't really love the idea of winter. I kinda just wanted to get away from here.

i guess luck was on my side. i would be going to a school trip, vacation type thing. i wasn't sure which city it was in yet, but i would be finding out pretty soon. either way, it would still be cold, so other than the weather, there was lots of things to look forward to.

i made it just in time, barging into the classroom just as the last bell had rung. my friends sat at the corner of the room, waving me over.

"buon giorno, classe!" mrs. bruno walks into the classroom right behind me, her glasses hanging low. "today is the last day you're here in america! though you guys are adults, and no longer children, i am not going to be on your backs the entire trip. yes, ill be there to chaperone you guys, but you certainly do not need a babysitter."

"you're college freshmans! and i trust you guys to take responsibility. now, for the fun part; anyone wanna guess where we're going?"

WHEN IN ROME

"rome? no way, nuh uh. i will not let my little sister go across country with her horrible ex. and alone, too. especially since im supposed to be taking care of you when dad is away."

"but why soph. im an adult, i can take care of myself. ethan is literally the least of my problems, i don't know why he's such a problem to you."

"he's not a problem to me. he's a problem to dad. you know dad never liked him. you can trust that he's not gonna like that you travel with him."

i give a confused look, "sophia, im not traveling with him alone, you know. the whole class will be there. you have nothing to worry about. besides, i have my friends. they'll protect me, you know they will."

she sighs, "i don't know... you know, i never really liked ethan either."

"this isn't about him! it's about me wanted to experience new things as a young adult. let me go to rome this one time, I'll be good, I promise!"

she rubs her face, groaning, "fine! you've convinced me this time. but if you get in any sort of trouble, with him or not, im booking you the next flight back here."

"yeah, yeah, absolutely!" i laugh, "thank you, thank you, thank you!" i hug her torso.

"hey, hey! watch the work clothes, i can't manage to wrinkle it. ive got work in like twenty minutes."

"sorry," i chuckle. "i won't get in trouble, this trip is gonna be so amazing!"

a content sigh leaves her lips, "you've grown so much. i still remember vividly how you'd come home after sneaking out all the time only to have me catch you and you begging me not to tell dad," i chuckle.

"ive matured now." i claim, "i am definitely not the same girl as i was in high school."

"good, cause i couldn't stand that girl." she says bluntly.

acting offended, i slightly shove her. she laughs, picking up her briefcase and preparing to leave the house.

"now watch payton for me, ill be back before dinner." she grabs her keys off the key hanger, and exits the door.

"bye!" once the door shuts, creating a loud echo along the long hallways of her huge house, i jump off my seat and search for my nephew.

"payton! where are you!"

"in here, you stupid butt!" i spin around, peeking into the doorway of his enormous room. i honestly don't know how my sister became so rich. im almost jealous of her life.

"what are you just standing there for? im hungry! go cook, woman!"

that's why im almost jealous. i would never want such a child so spoiled and rude. he's literally evil and when Sophia's attention is on him, he turns into the sweetest and most etiquette little boy ever, it scares me.

but.. when her back is turned away... well, you just saw.

rolling my eyes, i head towards the kitchen. if Sophia found out that i didn't obey Payton, i wouldn't live to see the next day. payton is her everything, it's all she has after her stupid boyfriend left. well, i shouldn't say all she has, she's still filthy rich.

Payton's the kind of kid who plays video games all day, and does nothing but scroll through his Instagram feed, liking pictures of ugly girls that he probably thinks are so adorable. but what do you expect from a fourteen year old boy.

"payton!"

no answer, only the sound of him shouting bad words and insulting things at his xbox.

"payton!" i shout more aggressively this time. he answers with the same aggressive tone as it echoed along the long hallway.

"what woman! im busy!"

i try not to scream.. "come eat!" if i were to be rude to him, that news would fly straight to Sophia and I'd never see the end of it.

i hear him groan, running down the stairs, shoving past me and going straight into the kitchen.

i sigh escapes my lips, "i can't wait to go."

——————
END OF CHAPTER ONE