twenty seven

oh my god. when did my dad learn to cook? this meal looks so good. almost like it's store bought. like it was ordered from olive garden and my parents just secretly plated it without telling me.

sitting around the table was actually quite comforting. i sat besides andrea and andi with ethan right beside her.

andrea was really nice. she had so much love for grayson and millie. i wanted to be pissed at her but i couldn't find the heart. if anything, be pissed at grayson. regardless, i can't do anything now. being pissed wouldn't change a single thing. they were getting married.

i was so ready to dig in when all the plates had been set and everyone was seated at the table. but andrea was religious and suggested we say grace. nothing against religion, i was just really hungry. i haven't eaten since i was on the plane.

halfway through the dinner, andi got bored and asked if she can play on her dads phone. his phone being dead, he tells her no. i can see why she'd be bored. she and millie weren't next to eachother.

i feel a tap on my arm, making me look to where andi is. "can i play on your phone?" she asks. this takes ethan off guard.

"sure," i tell her, handing her my phone that once previously sat on my lap.

"you didn't have to." ethan whispers to me, "she would've lived."

i shrugged, "it's okay. i'm getting bored too." i chuckled, sitting back up.

"cassandra." lisa says from across the table. "i see you on rome weekly all the time! all this news about new books published and new blog updates but never anything about your social life. do you have a boyfriend?"

i chuckled, putting on a smile. with my hands sitting in my lap and my back against the hard material of the black dining room chairs, i sighed and replied with a simple, "no."

"you're super successful, and very attractive may i add. men would be so lucky to have you!" lisa exclaims, laughter in her voice. my mother laughs along so lisa isn't laughing alone.

i get the feeling that with grayson and noah's weddings coming up, lisa expects something from me also. like i should start settling down and maybe get married too. but i'm in no rush for that yet.

i chuckled, "i guess i've just had no time for one." i explain, picking up the wine glass and putting my lips to it. i downed most of the drink as the entire table stared at me, minus the kids.

"i see. being busy with the whole book publishing and being one of the most famous women in all of europe, it must be difficult finding a good man." lisa says, her mood slightly dropping.

"yeah, you have no idea." i chuckled. "i was so focused on work at home but i spent a lot of time at home. i could've looked for a boyfriend, but i..." i shrugged, "i never did."

"why's that?" andrea asks from beside me.

i look over to her, my eyebrows furrowed as i tried to answer that question. "i don't know. i just always knew there was something missing. something guys in rome didn't have. so i never even tried."

she nods, looking away from me. trying to clear the awkward silence, i clap my hands together in a quick motion. "so, who wants dessert?"

WHEN IN ROME

my parents and lisa share another glass of wine at the dining table. we've all finished eating and i was busy in the kitchen as i cleaned.

grayson and andrea said their goodbyes and left with millie in hopes to get a early good nights sleep. and with grayson and andrea gone, i assume ethan and andi had left too.

another laugh comes from the dining room as i accidentally clanked the dishes while washing them quickly. i was exhausted, and i just wanted to sleep. my parents didn't ask me to clean, it's sort of therapeutic and it calms me down. so i offered.

as i finished the last of the dishes, i take look at the clock hanging on the wall. it read 11:07 PM. i usually have jet lag, but i've been trying real hard to adjust to the time zones.

drying my hands off, i walk over towards the living room. i stop by the dining room to say goodnight and say thank you to lisa for coming out of her way to welcome me back from rome.

entering the living room, i see ethan and andi. andi passed out next to ethan on the couch. when he notices me entering the room, he quickly stands up.

with my eyebrows furrowed, i slowly walk towards him. "what're you still doing here? i thought you left?"

he chuckles, "i was waiting for you to finish. sorry i didn't help, by the way. andi wouldn't let me leave her."

"oh, it's all good." i say, still standing there awkwardly, "um, why'd you wait?" i asked, leaning against the wall. he stood across the room, his arms crossed.

"i just wanted to say, welcome back. and thank you." he says, "i don't think i ever got to say it."

a smile rises on my lips, "thank you for what?" i asked curiously.

"i don't know," he shrugged, "for everything. you never gave me the chance to say goodbye when you left for rome after college. i had so much to say then, but... nothing now." he chuckled nervously.

he glanced down at his daughter as she was in a peaceful slumber, probably drooling on our couch too. "i should go though. you know, since andi's asleep."

i nod, "oh yeah, sure. don't let me hold you."

he smiles, picking up andi like it was nothing. she groans, her eyebrows furrowing as she looked annoyed that ethan had woken her up from her sleep.

"i'll see you." he says, walking towards the door. i simply nod, still standing there leaning against the wall.

he stands in front of it, grabbing the door knob with one hand as he held andi with his other arm. before he closes the door, he waves at me, a smile on his face.

i return it before the door shuts, and he and andi are gone.

END OF CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN

soooo read lemonade thanks bye