twenty three

five years later

"you're out of town? what do you mean you're out of town?" i yell through the phone. the lady beside me shushes me, causing my head to whip towards her. "sorry," i whispered.

"cassandra it was a last minute thing! and besides, you've been gone for five years. did you really expect me to be here when you come back out of the blue?" sophia exclaims, "you didn't even give me a heads up that you were gonna come visit."

i sighed, shifting in my seat. "yeah. i know. i'm sorry."

"you can't always depend on me. i have a job too, you know." i nodded my head even though she couldn't see me. "but hey, i've heard the news. you got asked to be on tv! you're pretty big in europe, huh?"

"yeah, all the hard work really payed off." i chuckled.

"so then, why are you back home? how come you declined the offer?" she asked, sounding quite worried. like she wants to know what's going on inside my head.

"um.. i don't know. i just needed to be here. and being on tv, isn't my top priority right now." i explained through the phone. i hear her sigh.

"tv is big popularity points, cass." she says, "this could boost your career big time."

"i never wanted it to become this crazy though. i never viewed this thing as a popularity contest. status doesn't matter," i say, remembering mia telling me about this, "all i wanted was to write and inspire people. but i have nothing inspiring me. i need to be home because i need a break, soph. i need time to think... this popularity thing almost got the best of me up until i experienced writers block. my inspiration first started here. at home. maybe i'll find it again if i stay a while." i shrugged.

"hate to say it, cass but you're right." she says, "i'm sorry i can't be there to pick you up from the airport. but if you can, please call mom or dad. you can stay with them while you're in town. maybe call up your old friends and see if they're down to hang out."

"will do. thanks sophia," i say, hanging up the phone call. about to click onto my moms contact, the lady who shushed me tapped onto my shoulder.

i turned to face her, a confused look on my face. "excuse me, but i couldn't help but over hear your conversation."

"oh?"

"are you cassandra flores? my daughter loves your work, do you mind taking a picture?" she asks, pulling out her cell phone.

"oh um, of course." i replied. i took her phone from her hands, and help the phone up to fit both of us into the frame.

snap!

WHEN IN ROME

as my mother pulled up the driveway of our house, i noticed lisa outside planting the flowers in the front of her yard. "they still live here?" i asked my mom as she parked.

"yep. i'm still surprised too. i thought they'd move, you know. start over ever since her husband died." my mom sighed, stepping out of the car. "but lisa's strong. i'm glad she's still here. it'd be a shame if they left, we're still good friends."

i nodded, staring at lisa. i truly hoped she was happy. despite looking the part, i could never tell.

i remember being in rome, about to launch my second piece of work when mia called me out of the blue telling me the twins father had passed away from cancer. it shocked me. i had felt such sadness. and even more when i found out by my manager that i couldn't even leave to attend his funeral because my opening was the same day.

she stood up, making eye contact with me. i smiled, waving my hand. "hey lisa!" i shout, walking over to her in her yard.

returning her smile, she sighs a content sigh, "cassandra! i'm so glad to see you back home!" embracing me in a hug, "oh my gosh, i've kept up with your success so much! you're doing so well!"

"thank you so much!" i tell her. i figured i shouldn't bring up the funeral. it was a couple years ago, bringing it up now seemed disrespectful knowing i didn't even show up.

"well you better go unpack and all. how long are you staying?" she asks.

"um.. however long i need!" i say, shrugging my shoulders, "just need a break from it all, you know."

"i completely understand. well, please. don't let me keep you." she laughs, turning around and continuing her gardening.

i smile to myself, turning around as well and being unloading all my bags from the car. the neighborhood was quiet, and so was lisa's house. maybe ethan and grayson didn't live here anymore?

all i know, is the first thing i'm gonna go do is call up mia. i miss that girl so fucking much.

after my dad and i had brought up all my suitcases into my old room, i noticed how untouched it was. i looked over to my window, as it faced ethan's to see the inside of his room. his curtains wide open.

it was empty. no bed, no nothing. hm. maybe they did move. maybe ethan lived out his dream. he got a nice suburban house and a stable job. he has a beautiful wife and lovely kids. just living the american dream.

and maybe, just maybe mia and and grayson are still together, living happily in a home they bought. or maybe even built. who knows.

i missed so much of my friends lives. the fact that i don't even know where or how isabelle and aria are scares me. i haven't spoke to them in years, and mia, i've only talked to her a couple times with how busy i always am that i don't even know how she's doing in life.

what if she has kids! what if she's engaged! oh gosh. i need to see her. and fast.

END OF CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

she's back in town!!! but where is everyone else??? 🤔