eight

Today, our class was going to a museum in Vatican City. I, for one, was excited because of my love for history. But I could tell that my friends as well as Ethan and his friends were just bored with this entire thing.

Well, maybe you shouldn't have taken this language class then.

Our class, once again, followed a tour guide. I think Mrs. Bruno was the most intrigued, that she didn't even create the time to pay attention to us.

As we followed the museum guide down a long hallway, Mia nudges me with her elbow. "So.. do you remember anything after you went home with Ethan?"

I shook my head, "nothing special."

After countless of times of trying to get me to spill after that, she eventually left it alone and caught up with Isabelle and Aria. A sigh escapes my lips. I didn't like lying to my best friends but I didn't want to seem like I was vulnerable, even though I clearly was.

"Hey, the boys and I are gonna hang out in our hotel room tonight, you girls should join us." Ethan comes up beside me, casually.

Noah throws his arm over my shoulder. "Totally, it'd be so fun. We can act like we're high schoolers again."

"Hm..." I pretended to think, "I don't know, Noah. I gotta ask my girls first."

Aria tugs me forward, letting Noah's arm slip off me in a quick motion. "This is the fun we've been waiting for!" She whispers to me.

"Of course we'll join!" Aria exclaims, "right girls?" She says, turning around to Isabelle and Mia.

They nodded. "See?"

Our class stopped for a bathroom break after hours of walking around. While everyone continued with the tour outside, Isabelle and Aria took forever as we waited for them. Mrs. Bruno mentions to me how we can catch up with them when we are finished.

"When did you care so much?" Aria mentions, stepping out. She had probably been eavesdropping from the bathroom as I secretly told Mia how much I didn't think it'd be a good idea for us to be spending so much time with the boys.

"I don't," I remark, leaning up against the wall, but I know I do. I'm being selfishly obnoxious to my friends just because I'm scared to face the possibilities of tonight. What if I can't help myself from doing something I'll regret in the morning?

Isabelle walks out of the bathroom after Aria. She sits down at the bench next to Aria, re-tying her shoe lace. "Yeah, let's branch out. Sometimes it's better to expand our friend group a little, you know? And plus, they asked us to come. It's not like we're invading their privacy. It'd be weird to turn them down."

Mia sighs from beside me, defeated as she couldn't help me. "Izzy's got a point."

I know deep down Mia and Isabelle want to go because they're hooking up with one of the guys in there. But why does Aria care so much?

"It's not like we got anything better to do. This trip has been kind of boring since the only person screaming over this stuff is Mrs. Bruno. I'm pretty sure she brought an empty suitcase just for Italian souvenirs." Mia adds. "Besides, I thought you and Ethan were cool. You know, if that's what you were worried about."

"It's not," I exclaim, quickly. "And we are cool. I just— I'm scared to branch out. Like Isabelle said." I lied.

"What's there to be scared of? We know these guys, Cass!" Aria says, laughing in the process. Mia gives me a look saying she knew something was off, and she'd definitely ask about it when Aria and Isabelle were no longer around.