Cause and effect (Lena x reader)

Request: Lena x male reader : laying in lena's lap while she reads a book to the reader

a/n: This is from Voltaire's novel Candide which is actually a satire on optimism but I felt these passages were appropriate for this fic. Also I know the gif is from Slasher and not Supergirl. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Master Pangloss taught the metaphysico–theologo–cosmolonigology. He could prove admirably that there is no effect without a cause, and in this best of all possible worlds the Baron's castle was the most magnificent of all castles, and my lady the best of all possible baronesses." 

Your head rested in Lena's lap as you listened to the words she read off the page of some book you never heard of called Candide. 

When you had first laid on the couch with her you insisted that she read the book in her hands aloud. 

"'It is demonstrable,' said he, 'that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end. Observe, for instance, the nose is formed for spectacles; therefore we wear spectacles. The legs are visibly designed for stockings; accordingly we wear stockings."

You couldn't help but chuckle softly at these outdated examples.

Lena smiled down at you before continuing.  

"Stones were made to be hewn and to construct castles; therefore my lord has a magnificent castle; for the greatest baron in the province ought to be the best lodged. Swine were intended to be eaten, therefore we eat pork all year round. And they who assert that everything is right, do not express themselves correctly; they should say that everything is best'."

Lena begun running her fingers through the short ends of your hair.

You closed your eyes and relaxed into the gentle touch. 

"Candide listened attentively and believed implicitly, for he thought Miss Cunegonde excessively handsome though he never had the courage to tell her so. He concluded that after the happiness of being Baron of Thunder–ten–tronckh, the next was that of being Miss Cunegonde, the next that of seeing her every day, and the last that of hearing the doctrine of Master Pangloss, the greatest philosopher of the whole province, and consequently of the whole world."

This incredible woman reading to you was easily the root of your own current happiness. 

"One day when Miss Cunegonde went to take a walk in the little neighboring woods, which was called a park, she saw through the bushes the sage doctor Pangloss giving a lecture in experimental philosophy to her mother's chambermaid, a little brown wench, very pretty, and very tractable. As Miss Cunegonde had a great disposition toward the sciences,-"

Just like Lena you thought to yourself, she was so brilliant that you couldn't keep up with what she was saying half the time. 

"-she observed with the utmost attention the experiments which were repeated before her eyes; she perfectly well understood the force of the doctor's reasoning upon causes and effects. She returned home greatly flurried, quite pensive and filled with the desire of knowledge, imagining that she might be a sufficing reason for young Candide, and he for her."

Maybe Lena was your cause and effect. 

"On her way back she happened to meet Candide. She blushed, he blushed also. She wished him a good morning in a flattering tone; he returned the salute without knowing what he said."

You thought back to the first time you met Lena, you were so entranced by her beauty you became a bumbling mess, just like Candide. 

"The next day, as they were rising from the dinner table, Cunegonde and Candide slipped behind a screen; Miss dropped her handkerchief, the young man picked it up. She innocently took hold of his hand,-" 

Lena glided her hand down your arm, intertwining your fingers.

"-and he as innocently kissed hers with a warmth, a sensibility, a grace–all very particular;-"

You brought your joined hands up to your lips, kissing the back of hers. 

"- their lips met; their eyes sparkled; their knees trembled; their hands strayed."

You released her hand and ran yours up to the back of her neck, bringing her down to kiss you. 

She laughed, finding her place on the page to finish the passage. 

"The Baron chanced to come by; he took note of the cause and effect, and without hesitation saluted Candide with some notable kicks on the rear and drove him out of the castle. Miss Cunegonde, the tender, the lovely Miss Cunegonde fainted away, and, as soon as she came to herself, the baroness boxed her ears. Thus a general consternation was spread over this most magnificent and most agreeable of all possible castles."

"That was nice," you smiled. 

"If only the rest of the story was that nice," she joked.

"Well," you said sitting upright and facing her, "that Pangloss guy has a point... you Miss Lena Luthor are the cause to my effect. If I had never met you, my life would not be what it is today and I will, and I quote, 'correctly express myself' by saying that everything," you placed a kiss on her neck, "is," another kiss on her jaw, "the," her cheek, "best," and finally her lips. 

She smiled into the kiss, setting the book to the side and wrapping her arms around your neck. 

Much to your protest she pulled away far too soon.

"And you my dear, are the greatest man a girl could ask for, but don't let it go to your head," she teased.

"Never," you laughed.

These were the moments you lived for, the carefree and goofy Lena that only you got to see, that only you was she comfortable being this way around.

If only you knew that you changed her life just as much she changed yours.