Second shift

Previously: Aveer:" Yes my child but I have a couple of questions for you. When you are touching any of your mates do you feel the spark that comes with the mate bond"
Mariah: " I.........
*************************************
Mariah: I thought about it and tried to remember touching the twins or Dominic and the feelings that passed through me when I touched them. I thought about the love that surrounds me and the need that I feel to be there for them no matter what." I can not remember. I can tell you how I feel being in their presence and how I feel when I touch them. I did get a sharp pain the first day that I touched Luna. What are you trying to tell me?"

Aveer: " My sweet child I am sorry but I think that you have confused your feelings for the mate bond. I can feel that your wolf is special to us but not as a mate." I try to say this as softly and delicately as I can because I can see the confusion and emotions building behind her eyes. I can hear her wolf howling in pain.

Mariah: " I I ddon't undersstand. I know what I feel. I even have a mark on my left and right shoulder representing my twin mates. I can show you. You have to believe me I'm not crazy you are my mates. Look for yourself. Sparks do not make a mate they don't have to be present. You hadn't shifted and you have touched me since you shifted but it was a group hug you don't know anything."

Luna: I stand by my sister and my mate tears in my eyes. She is breaking before our eyes and there is nothing I can say truthfully to make it better. I know she isn't our mate. I felt my sister and Dominic as soon as I shifted. My wolf is still fond of her but it is nowhere near a mate bond. I blink back tears and look at my twin and see her attempting to hold strong. I see the tears behind her eyes but she looks strong. She opens her arms for me to run to while Aveer speaks to Mariah. I need more comfort."Elle can you come here please I need you." I sniffle a little to try to get control of my emotions. Before I know it Elle and Nix appear in front of us and I run into Elle's side and she wraps her wings around me.

Elle: "What is wrong my princess?"

Luna: "I am sad for Mariah I thought she was just being nice since we didn't have any friends here but all this time she thought we were her mates. I feel like we might have led her on and I know she is heartbroken. I don't know what to do."

Elle: "Let us go speak to this girl we will help her heal."

Luna: "Thank you Ellie!" Ellie promised to help and I watched her and Nix bow to Aveer and look at the crown and sword markings on Mariah's back and they look at each other with a surprised and worried look on their face."What is it?"

Nix:" This girl is one of your 4 protectors that is why she feels so strongly connected to you two. This is concerning ; you only gain new protectors when you need them. This means that something bad is watching you and soon we will be faced with a great evil. We must be very careful and keep your circle small."

Serenity: Wow that explains a lot. I look at the shocked expression on my twin' face and make the decision that I'll be the one to shed some light on what is going on. "Can everyone follow me please." I shoot a small smile to Mariah and put my hand out for her to hold while we walk. I need for her to be calm. She grabs my hand eagerly and saddens passes her face at not feeling the sparks from the mate bond. I walk them into the woods and towards a lake that I found after our training sessions one day. "Nix can you please put up a barrier for me?" Once I felt the comfort of the barrier I looked at everyone and cleared my throat for attention. "I want to first say that Mariah I am sorry that we are not who you thought we were to you, but I want you to know we still care for you and you are still special to us. You are not our mate. You are one of our protectors. You were blessed by the moon Goddess to have what is necessary to help keep my twin and I safe. Ellie and Nix are the protectors that we have grown up with and now we need you to help us. There is a darkness coming and your skills will be needed."

Mariah: My mouth hangs open. A protector I would have never guessed this. "So that is why I feel territorial over you two? This is crazy I don't think I fully understand but I accept. I want you in my life even if it's just as your protector. The thought of you needing me calms my wolf. I..." I grown in pain I feel a shift in my shoulder blade. If feels like my first shift but so much worse. I feel my face reconstructing the breaking of my nose brings tears to my eyes. Why am I shifting like this, what is happening? I open my eyes slightly from them being squeezed shut I see the girls standing above me before everything goes black. I don't see or feel anything. I try to blink and readjust my eyes to the darkness when I open my eyes again I'm blinded by light . It slowly starts to dim and in its place I see a beautiful smile and extraordinary eyes with amusement shining in them. I stare in awe of the beautiful creature in front of me. I thought that the twins were beautiful. Now I'm questioning my sexuality. Too many beautiful women have made me weak in the last couple of months. The voice I hear is a melody sounding laugh.

Moon Goddess: "Oh thank you my child you flatter me but you do not like girls. You have a male mate waiting out there for you. You are here to receive your protector wolf. You have not lost your previous wolf but she is not the same as you had known her. She is much stronger and more intelligent. She has merged with her ancient self. All of my ancient wolves have to go through a second shift. I am sorry for the pain but it is to ensure that your human body is strong enough to handle an ancient wolf."

Mariah: I blush at her knowing I had a mini crush on her." Thank you goddess it will be my honor to be one of your ancient wolves and to protect the twins, but what exactly are we "protectors" needed for?"

Moon Goddess: "My child there is a great darkness that wishes to rule your world the twins are my children I sent them to your world to help save it. They are not aware they they are mine but that have a connection with me that only a mother and her children share. This darkness is powerful and in order for the war against it to be won they need to be protected. Your protection along with your mate, Ellie and Nix will give the girls the time needed to put their power together and rid the world of darkness forever. I must send you back now your spirit and wolf have been out of your body for too long."