PROLOGUE

My dress is black and itchy and I hate it. I want to peel it off and I want to kick aunt Jiwon for making me wear it. And it's short, too, so she had me wear a pair of black tights underneath it and they're even more itchier. Then there's this stupid frilly thing attached to the collars of the dress that falls all the way down my shoulders and right up to the elbows. I haven't worn this dress in two years, not since I was 5, and I clearly remember hating it then, too.

 I haven't worn this dress in two years, not since I was 5, and I clearly remember hating it then, too

Rosé's dress in just as stupid as mine, actually even worse. Her dress has this absolutely ridiculous looking frilly thing going on around the neckline, sleeves, and the hemline-she looks like a member of the Adam's family! At least she can't see how dumb we look, but I can. And I don't want to be embarrassed and uncomfortable, too.

 And I don't want to be embarrassed and uncomfortable, too

It should be raining. It's supposed to rain at funerals, right? I want it to rain, but the sun bakes down and it hurts my eyes and everything is sharp and bright like the world doesn't know earth is swallowing up my parents.

My parents. Our lovely parents. Mom and dad.

Rosé cries softly next to me, her head bent so low we're nearly the same height. Actually her name is Chaeyoung, but we all call her Rosé out of love. Dad came up with that nickname and the reason behind was because she was so pink as a baby, with rosy cheeks that turned even rosier when she cried. Like now for example; where the tip of her nose and her cheeks are tinged with dark shade of pink. I'm glad she cant see any of this, can't see the dark wooden caskets, can't see the mats of fake green grass around them. They are going in the dirt. I would rather see the dirt. Who are they trying to fool?

I reach out and take Rosé's hand in mine, then I look up at her and gently squeeze it. She is my responsibility now, and no one else's. I'll take care of her. I promise my parents.

I'll take care of her.

- -

Looking after your sister was a responsibility that you bore on your shoulders since the day you first learned to walk. It wasn't your sister's fault, neither was it because of something you did. That's how things were always like around your house, but you didn't mind it though. You never thought of your sister as a burden. Never.

The bond between the two of you was as strong as a bond between two siblings could be. And when everything gets taken away from the two of you in a blink of an eye, now the only family you two were left with are each other. After your aunt, your only relative, refuses to take the both of you in, the only option left for the two of you was the GFCK; a Korean institute in arms with the universal foundation, 'The Global Fund For Children'.

The GFCK institute was actually an enormous $32 million dollars by minimum worth, four-acre mansion in Seoul, with a vast garden and a green house at the end, a tennis court, and 100-meter swimming pool, and sixty thousand square feet of living space with many ornate chandeliers, fireplaces, gilding, over a hundred luxury rooms, over fifty high-tech classrooms, a grand dining hall, and a full-size indoor basketball court.

The institution looked like heaven on earth, in fact, too good to be real, and it was true that you agreed to enroll there and to start over a new life (for your sister's sake, but still), but that didn't mean you have to ignore all those bad feelings you have about the place. And that's when you decide to trust your instincts and set out to find the truth about the institute; what actually lies underneath this ridiculously extravagant sugar coating they're pulling off so well. But by the time you finally mange to do so, it's already too late . . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

It would make my day ☺