SIXTEEN (Part II)

Rosé's P.O.V

Later that night, I can't sleep. I feel so guilty. I shouldn't have said those things to her. No matter what others say, I'm the big sister. And she's hurting, has been for a long time. I need to help her. I need to be the calm one, the one who can be in control, see this for what it is.

(y/n) needs help.

I pad down the hall. I don't know if the lights are still on or not (doesn't make much of a difference to me, anyway), but I know the way to CL's office by heart. She works late a lot; maybe she'll still be there. It feels right to be doing something.

When I finally reach there, I hear voices coming from her office. The door must be open. I walk closer, then stop. At least I know she's awake. I'll wait in the hall until she's done.

I'm about to leave when I hear (y/n)'s name.

"Surely there has to be a better way to control her." Suzy's voice.

"Jisoo said she's getting worse. The guilt is fading and being replaced with anger and something Jisoo calls a swirling mess of empty despair. That girl has to learn a thing or two about precise definitions." I don't know who that is; it sounds vaguely familiar, bus in sure I've never had instruction from her. Almost all my classes are with CL, one-on-one.

"It's an unusual case." CL. So CL knows (y/n)'s struggling, too, and she's already working with the rest of the faculty to help! I smile. "The other kids are worth keeping are easy enough. By the time they put it all together, they're in so deep and enjoy the perks so much they don't realize it wasn't their own idea. Like Jisoo. Broken homes are wonderful, aren't they?" A smattering laughter. I suddenly don't like the feeling of this conversation.

CL's voice is closer to the door, now. I shrink back against the wall, praying that all hall lights are off. I don't hear them. There's no hum. But I don't usually listen to the lights. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they can see me right now. Maybe they're standing there, silently laughing at me. Suzy needs to see you, to read you. Can she see me? I slide a few feet back toward the hall to the stairs.

"But it's different with (y/n)," CL says. "It always has been. There's no way to gain her trust and then to build up to what we wanted her to do. She's not easy like her sister. She knew from the very beginning she didn't want to be here or do what we want her to, so it's been a fight all along."

The unknown voice who talked about Jisoo: "The guilt is fading, though. You'll have to figure out a new method to keep her from running."

CL, in a tone so matter-of-fact my blood runs cold: "I already know exactly when she's going to try. We'll have something in place by then. She's the school's top priority; the chairman is deeply invested in her. All the little empaths and Seers are replaceable. (y/n) is special."

"She's a monster." Suzy.

CL, small laugh: "But she's our monster." Creaking. People getting up from chairs. I been to leave. I was not supposed to hear this. "And we'll keep doing whatever it takes so she stays ours."

I turn and silently run down the hall. Whatever it takes, whatever it takes, whatever it takes. It echoes through my head. They'll keep doing whatever it takes. What else have they already done? It doesn't matter. I'm getting my sister out of here. I won't fail her anymore.

Tomorrow we run.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

It would make my day