SEVEN

10 YEARS AGO 

2009

(y/n) – 7 | Rosé – 9 

Rosé's P.O.V

(y/n)'s mad. I can feel it in the way her fingers are squeezing mine. She doesn't usually take my hand unless I hold it out for her first; she knows it annoys me, that I can find my way well enough. Besides which, we are sitting down. I can't understand what she's freaking out about.

The school representative continues in his fluid voice. It sounds cultured and smart. It sounds like a future. "Chaeyoung will, of course, be on full scholarship. The GFCK Foundation provides a generous living to all our students in world-class dormitories, everything on-site that they could need, and each student gets one-on-one curriculum consulting to ensure the best possible education and secure brightest career path imaginable. We believe that there are no disabilities, merely different abilities, and that our students have core of strength untapped by traditional education."

Aunt Jiwon coos, flipping through brochures that sound thick and expensive. In truth, she's probably just as relived as I am that I'll be out from under her roof. Inheriting two sad, strange girls from her half-sister was never in her life plan. But . . . I can't leave (y/n). How could I leave (y/n)? She's my little baby sister—my other half! Without her, I would never be complete. She's also my responsibility, although she thinks the other way around.

No. This is too good an opportunity to pass up. Maybe (y/n)'s life will be easier if I'm not around. If she doesn't have to worry about all the things I don't see—and worse, the things I do. Maybe a life without me is what exactly (y/n) needs.

And I could use a fresh start. I haven't had any visions in months. Maybe it's over. If I move away from people I know about me, maybe I can really be done with the seeing.

I don't know if I want to be, though. Because without the visions, I don't see at all. I still haven't figured out if they make the darkness better or worse, but that doesn't stop me from craving them.

The first one, the worst one, runs through my mind. My first vision, which was from two years ago now. I was nine and (y/n) was seven. One second I was sitting on the couch, and the next second I was in a car somehow, my parents in the front seats, the radio on softly in the background with too much static—how was I in the car? What was going on? But most importantly, how could I see? I tried to open my mouth to tell my parents I was there, I could see, I was seeing for the first time in five years! But nothing happened. And then everything happened—there was a horrible noise of metal twisting and groaning, glass flying everywhere, the whole world turning and spinning and smashing the car.

And my parents.

When I opened my eyes, I was back in the darkness, screaming. My parents were gone out on a date. (y/n) was trying to calm me down, to figure out what I was talking about. I freaked the babysitter out so much that she immediately called our parent's cell telling them to come right home. But they never made it.

And the worst part of all, the part that haunts me the most, is wondering if seeing what I saw caused the accident.

Since then it happened a few more times—sight suddenly flooding my midnight world. Broken snatches of the future, the present, or I don't even know. I don't want to know. My eyes are worthless.

"Rosé." Her voice almost a whisper, (y/n) calls me by the pet name our dad always used to call me by, startling me as our aunt continues to talk with the man—Kwang Jae? Kang Joon? I've forgotten his name already. (y/n) has toned her voice down, making sure that only I can hear her. "There is something wrong with this. Something bad."

"What are you talking about?" I try to keep my voice down to match hers, but I fail. I am so confused right now, what is she talking about?

"He's not—I can't explain it. Don't do it. This is wrong."

"Excuse me, girls. Do you have a question?" I can hear his smile. It sounds like confidence. I wonder if he is handsome? His voice sounds handsome. I think he is, too. I wonder if I am beautiful? (y/n) says I am, but I refuse to believe her. She lies alot. She is the best liar in the world.

"Yes, actually." (y/n) answers him, her voice filled with fists. "I have a lot of questions. Aunt Jiwon, can you wait outside?" For a nine-year-old, her voice is impressively powerful, fearless, and overflowing with confidence and attitude. As always, I find myself admiring this quality of hers. I wish I was more like her. Although (y/n) always looks up to me, I find myself secretly looking up to her half the time.

"I don't think that is necessary," Our aunt says, her voice pinched with disapproval. She's worried (y/n) will mess things up for her, that the school will realize I am not just blind, I am crazy, too, and then they will not want me anymore. Though I do not want to admit it, we share the same worry.

"No, it is not a problem." Kwang Jae/Kang Joon answers. "I am more than happy to answer (y/n)'s questions privately. Why don't you go meet with my assistant and get some of the preliminary forms filled out? That's one downside to all this—so much paperwork!" He laughs and our aunt pads out of the room, closing the door behind her with a soft snick.

"So." He says now sounding less professional and more amused. "What is it that you have questions about?"

"This is a load of crap!"

"(y/n)!" I hiss. Aunt was right, she should have stayed!

"You speak your mind, don't you? I like that." He says, still sounding the same and without a hint of annoyance in his tone. "And why would you say that?" For some reason he is taking this amazingly well. How can he still be so amused and calm about this? (y/n) is practically exploding and probably even staring daggers at him! Is it because she is really young?

"I don't know." she sounds angry, frustrated with herself almost. "If I knew why, I would tell you. Unnie, please, listen to me! This is a bad idea. I feel sick. We should leave. We'll be fine. Our old school can bring in more braille texts, and we're doing okay, right? Together. We need to stay together. Please." She pleads.

I open my mouth to answer her— because now I miss starting to feel sick, too. Only I feel sick because I want to go to this school more than I have ever wanted anything. I will only ever be the poor blind sister, the poor blind orphan. But at a school like this, I could be Chaeyoung. I could figure out who Chaeyoung is besides the blindness. But I cannot leave (y/n) behind. Ever.

Before I say anything, Kwang Jae/Kang Joon speaks. "You feel sick about this? Could you perhaps describe the feeling?"

"No, I can't bloody describe the feeling." She snaps. "All I know is that this is a bad idea and you are a liar and I should keep Rosé as far away I possibly can from you and your stupid school."

He stands, and I hear the smile slide back into his voice. "You are seven, correct? You know, (y/n), we like children with independent spirits. I can see that you two are a package deal. How would you feel about joining your sister? And I should tell you that the GCFK Foundation has a lot of ties in the medical community; we would immediately start researching to see if there is a way to reverse Chaeyoung's retinopathy—the condition that caused her blindness." he offers an offer that I find priceless.

I squeeze (y/n)'s hand. A school. A new chance. And maybe, just maybe, eyes that would see only what they were supposed to. "Please, please, oh please, come with me! Jebal-yo, (y/n)-ah, please come with me!" I grab both her hands and beg. "You felt sick about it because we were going to be separated, but now we won't! It's perfect, don't you think?"

"But there is something very wrong about this place!" She whispers, but I do not let go of her hands. I will not. I already know I will win this because she always let's me win, and we'll go together, and our lives will really start.

"Okay," she finally agrees, and I do not think I could possibly be more happier than I currently am. "But it is still wrong . . . "

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

It would make my day