Writing Tips: Slugslinging Duels

Here you go willjaymusic

Alright, this is one thing every Slugterra fanfic writer cannot avoid no matter how much they want to: writing a duel.

So, since I've been asked before and was recently asked again, I'm throwing together some tips for writing duels!

1. Know. Your. Slugs.
This one's pretty obvious. The Slugterra Wiki is your best friend. Trivia in the past has been off, but overall, slug names and information are solid. Know the names, types, and attacks (not necessarily memorize them, but look them up). Knowing all your options will help you figure out what the best attack/counterattack will be. It also helps decide how much to use them. Everyone remember World Beneath Our Feet? You can't refire a Tazerling too much, or it'll misfire.

2. Know that ghouls are stronger than slugs.
If you have a Rammstone with X experience and a Grimmstone with X experience, the Grimmstone wins every time. Some slugs (ie. Burpy) can take down a ghoul easily, but less experienced or weaker slugs won't. If you have a slugslinger fighting a ghoulslinger, remember that not every slug will beat out a ghoul.

3. Kill the details.
One of the best parts pf writing fanfiction is that your audience has a grasp on a lot of stuff. This includes what slugs/ghouls look like. If you want your battle to be high speed, then cut the descriptions. We don't need to know that "the maroon and blue velocimorph sped forward and collided with the teal and purple ghoul, knocking the ghoul to the ground" if it's supposed to be a real fight, which happen fast. We just need to know that the Rammstone knocked the Thrasher out of the air.

Another part of this is ghoul names. If your character is early in the plot and doesn't know ghoul names, then "ghouled Rammstone" is fine. But farther along, cutting it to Grimmstone gets the same thing across in less time.

4. Know the results before you write.
Don't make it up as you go. Figure out A) how long the fight is and B) who wins. This should be before you write a word of the duel. Knowing the results makes it easier to fill in details. If it's a long fight, you can take your time and add in more descriptions. If it's a highspeed top-of-the-train duel, you'll be able to think of moves to keep it quick and to the point.

5. Keep track of your ammo.
You can't fire a Flaringo, then a Hop Rock, then a Flaringo again back to back if you only have one Flaringo. If you have two, state it. But keep track of slug return. It can take a few moments for a slug to get back, and that being said, some can't be fired over and over again (ie. Tazerlings). I would recommend trying not to use the same slug twice to avoid confusion, unless you blatantly state the slug came back.

This also ties into knowing your character. Know what slugs they have. What's their signature move?

6. Imagine the fight as you go.
You should have a slow-mo duel going on in your head as you write it. Imagine what the characters will do before you put it in words, and it'll help you to not get confused and also keep things moving to create action.

7. Know your characters' fighting styles!
Is it rapidfire, or strategic sniping? Use all the slugs, or only the strongest, and weaker ones in easy fights? Are they flexible or strong or ambidextrous? What happens if they're disarmed- do they suck at hand-to-hand? Little details like that are going to help you keep characters consistent in a fight.

I'll add to this if I think of any more, but that's all I got for now! The biggest thing is to WATCH YOUR DETAILS. Too much, and the fight will drag out and the readers get bored. Too little and it can get confusing. Stick to the basics- "Alana fired her Rammstone and rolled to the left to avoid Dana's Grimmstone." Not the details of loading the blaster and firing the slug, then realizing the opponent is firing back and then thinking to roll out of the way.

Hope this helps!

Cyan out!