one - december 17 (PRE-IRON MAN)

chapter i.
(   pre-iron man   )

quiet    when    i'm   coming    home
and       i'm       on        my        own
but   nothing  is  better  sometimes
once we've both said our goodbyes
let's just let it go,  let me let you go
when the party's over ─── billie eilish

quiet    when    i'm    coming    home and        i'm        on         my        ownbut   nothing  is  better  sometimesonce we've both said our goodbyeslet's just let it go,  let me let you gowhen the party's over ─── billie eilish

limelight club
december 17, 1999
(   tony's point of view   )

I was in a club when it happened.

Colored lights were flashing and the music was pounding hard against my eardrums like it wanted to make an impression upon my brain. My "friends" were all around me, dancing or drinking or some wild combination of both. It didn't matter; nothing mattered. We all just kept cheering and yelling, egging the music on as our heads rocked and our feet danced to the beat. A cigarette stayed rolled in between my lips and puffs of smoke emanated from my mouth, covering us all in an ever-growing cloud. I wasn't really the smoking type, but I figured, what the heck? Lees and Mom were out of town for the week or so and Howard wasn't going to be all over my back so why not live a little? Not that I had any problem with "living" anyway.

A girl in a tight dress was laughing at something that I had said, leaning her thin side into mine. A few other girls hung closely around with those pitiful expressions on their faces, practically begging for my attention, but I made sure my relatively absolute focus was on the tight dress wearing girl in front of me. I was just about mid-sentence when two thick fingers snapped against my shoulder blade. As my head jerked back, I saw a tall, burly man standing there with a face twisted up like he had just sucked on something sour. Whatever his problem was, he had the complete and utter right to take it somewhere, anywhere else. I made my thoughts very clear through my facial expression before I turned and dove back into my conversation with the girl.

She had probably told me but I wasn't quite sure what her name was; all I knew was that she was a serious ten and very leggy, and she had certainly no problem in showing it. Ten draped her thin arm on one of my shoulders and threw her blonde head back to give a high-pitched, nearly cackling laugh. Sure, Ten's laugh was incredibly aggravating and she was pretty much a glorified hyena, but again, she was a ten.

"And in the end,"

The man clearly couldn't take a not-so-subtle hint as he tapped on my shoulder again, "Mr. Stark,"

What was with people calling me that? Mr. Stark. God, it was annoying. I was given a first name for a reason and it wasn't like anyone didn't know who I was. Seriously, you know who I am. My eyes rolled closed as I shook my head slightly, lightly tapping my finger on the bridge of my nose.

What was it with men in suits? They were egotistical and thought they ruled the world. Now that was one thing I would never be doing; wearing some stiff suit with those sunglasses, looking like an idiot. Besides, weren't suits supposed to be highly adept at picking up signals? Especially the men in the black suits. Now those are the ones you had to watch out for. Even if they were thoroughly clueless, they could still erase you from existence and I rather liked my existence, clearly just not enough to spare him a glance though.