twenty-two - mistake #3

chapter xxii.
( iron man 3 )

what      doesn't
destroy       you
leaves          you
broken instead
drown ─── bring me the horizon

what      doesn't destroy        youleaves          youbroken instead drown ─── bring me the horizon

stark mansion
december 19, 2012
( four days ago )

When I got home that night, all the lights were off so I imagined that Pepper and Dad were already asleep. My brief stretch without pain when I had been with T'Challa was shattered as soon as I walked through the front door. I wheezed for air as I made my way to the staircase, only to have my feet sluggishly stumble and fall. I landed hard on the cement steps and I bit my lip to hold in a cry. Using the wall, I dragged myself to my feet and slid against it to finally get to the top. I tiredly dropped my head back, trying to catch my breath. I wrapped my arms over my chest and walked towards their bedroom to let them know I was home like Pepper asked me to.

As my Converses quietly padded against the carpet, I began to hear Pepper whisper in a worried voice, "Tony."

Confusedly, I turned the corner and my heart hurt at the sight. My confused expression fell away and all that was left was a gaze of sadness. My lips parted slightly and I took in a quiet breath, feeling my chest lift and fall subtly in the background of the room's motion.

My father was curled on his side and his dark head kept violently twitching as if he were having a nightmare. His legs were kicking slightly like he was trying to protect himself against whatever monsters plagued him. I honestly didn't know that he was having nightmares. I thought it was only me. A small, sharp groan escaped his lips as his face contorted. Pepper shook his arm, trying to take him out of the darkness that had infested his head.

"Pepper," I whispered in a panic, walking over to her to watch my still sharply breathing father

She looked up at me with wide eyes, worry lacing ever part of her being, before she looked back down at Dad.