twenty-one - a blast before the bomb

chapter xxi.
( iron man 3 )

how   did   it  ever   come   to   this?
i   shoulda    never   come   to   this
i ask myself, what am i doing here?
here ─── alessia cara

how   did   it   ever   come   to   this?i   shoulda    never    come    to   thisi ask myself, what am i doing here?here ─── alessia cara

stark mansion
december 18, 2012
( five days ago )

When Pepper and I climbed out of the car in front of our mansion, my jaw slowly fell slack at what I saw before me. A very large stuffed rabbit stood out on the front porch; it was just chilling there without any purpose whatsoever.

With the intention of asking a question, I opened my mouth slightly, but then just ended up closing it as my brows furrowed in confusion

"I-I'm not even sure how we're supposed to respond to that," I eventually told Pepper with thoughtfully squinting eyes.

She just sighed as she closed her door, "I'll handle this, okay?"

"Please," I begged, giving a whiny laugh.

I let her get a head start as she walked into the house. Once I saw her disappear from my line of sight, I leaned down so that I could see Happy still sitting in the driver's seat. He didn't even seem surprised at the large bunny sitting in front of our house. I'm not really sure why I was, to be honest. I mean, come on, it's my dad.

"Hey Happy, are you going to follow, um," I glanced around awkwardly, still unsure if I should give away that fact that I knew him, "that Killian guy?"

He gave a serious nod, "Yes."

"Well," I shifted from one foot to the other, "I sort of have plans for a part of tonight. I'm going to this party thing, but,"

Happy raised his eyebrows in surprise.

I scowled at him as my voice rose to a higher pitch, "Listen here, Buddy! I'm a very likeable and sociable person! I actually do hang out with people."