thirty-one - the one that got away (MID-CREDITS)

chapter xxxi.
( mid-credits )

i never  meant to get us in  this  deep
i never meant for this to mean a thing
oh,       i   wish   you   were    the    one
wish you were the one that got away
the one that got away ─── the civil wars

i never  meant  to get  us in  this  deepi never meant for this to mean a thingoh,       i    wish   you    were    the    onewish you  were the  one that  got awaythe one that got away ─── the civil wars

washington d.c.
april 1, 2014
( captain america: winter soldier )

"Thanks for letting me stay with you these next couple weeks, by the way," I smile at Steve as I jog up the stairs to his apartment to keep up with him and his long legs.

"You've said that before, Lees," he smiles back down at me, jingling his keys in his hand.

"Yeah, I know, but I just want to make sure you knew that I really do appreciate it. Dad keeps telling me," I mimic my father's voice, "'Take a break, Smalls! You look like the cheap, budget-cut version of Eeyore!'" I sigh and grumble to myself.

Steve pulls a confused expression back at me.

I frown, "He's a fictional character? I-It's from a kid's thing. A cartoon? Winnie the Pooh? Oh, never mind, it's fine, we'll just have to add it to our list,"

"I know Winnie the Pooh, Lisa," he informs me with a small laugh, "We actually did have stories when I was a kid, you know."

I wave my hands around, "Well, it doesn't matter. My point is that he wants me to take a break, especially after the whole Mandarin thing and then the disease at the end of 2012 and, well, recently with life and..." I stare off into the distance before blinking and looking back up at Steve.

"It's no problem, Kid," Steve shrugs it off as he steps into the hallway after me, "I'm glad to have some company, honestly. It gets a little lonely by myself."

I smirk over at him, "Well, I promise not to cause as much trouble as the other Starks you know or have known."

He laughs, shaking his head and glancing down at his feet, "Somehow I get the feeling that that's not gonna be true."

Brushing back my wild windblown hair, I laugh and shrug, "I have no excuse."

He chuckles quietly as we move towards the apartment that I've already been staying in for the past two days. A tall blonde wearing pink nursing scrubs that I recognize as Steve's neighbor, Kate, stands down the hall from us. She's carrying a basket of laundry as she speaks on the phone.

"So sweet. That is so nice," she's saying as we reach closer to her and she quietly tells the two of us, "Hi."

Steve and I wave slightly, trying to be polite to the nurse. He has a small smile on his face as he glances down at the keys in his hands. As we near the door marked with a number '4', Steve pauses and sways a bit, glancing back at the blonde woman. I look up at my friend in a little confusion as we stay paused outside his apartment. I mean, it's been a long couple days. There was this morning when Steve was all up in arms against Fury about something that I apparently didn't have the "clearance" to know about. Then we visited Aunt Peggy whose Alzheimer's is getting worse and worse until one point today where she forgot all about Steve being alive and she didn't even know who I was. And then there was yesterday. Yesterday: when Steve was out on a mission with Natasha, when I had my one-on-one conversation with Fury. Yesterday, it's now a bitter word in my mind.