thirty-two - revelation (END CREDITS)

chapter xxxii.
( end credits )

honesty  is   such  a  lonely  word
everyone       is        so      untrue
honesty   is  hardly   ever   heard
and mostly what i need from you
honesty ─── billy joel

honesty  is   such  a  lonely   wordeveryone        is         so       untruehonesty   is   hardly   ever   heardand mostly what i need from youhonesty ─── billy joel

washington d.c.
march 1, 2014
( a day before fury's assassination )

"Miss Stark," the eye-patch wearing man gives a curt nod towards the thick yellow folder in his hand, "your own personal file,"

Director Fury drops the folder with a S.H.I.E.L.D emblem on the cover down onto the desk between us. The office around us is covered in clean light windows and the city of D.C. runs smoothly out below. My black boots carefully inch me closer to the wide desk as Steve and Natasha work on a mission. I honestly just want to head back to Steve's apartment to watch more movies to catch him up with the times, but I was "escorted" here by a few agents who insisted that Fury had something he believed I would like to see.

I shake my head in confusion as I lean forward to finger the thick folder, "I don't understand. Why would S.H.I.E.L.D. have a file for me?"

"We have a file for everyone," he answers back with a straight expression.

"Oh. Wow. That's a lot of people. Your filing cabinet must be huge!" my blue eyes widen as my shoulders lift in an awkward laugh.

It gets even more awkward when Fury just stares at me with an unimpressed expression.

It's funny because I've seen him give my father that very same one on numerous occasions

It's funny because I've seen him give my father that very same one on numerous occasions. It seems to me that Director Fury tends to be about 200% done with the Starks on a daily basis.

I clear my throat and nod a little, understanding that my apparently not-so-funny jokes need to stop. So, I move on and pick up the thick folder, peering down at it with a hesitant expression. I guess a part of me doesn't really want to open S.H.I.E.L.D.'s personal file on me. I don't really want to know what S.H.I.E.L.D. knows; they're likely to know things that I don't even know about me. My eyes trail up to Fury's face and his brows are furrowed as he gives me a slightly, barely seen nod of encouragement. My fingers rhythmically tap against the folder and my boot bounces a little against the tile underneath me. After a few more moments of hesitation, I tentatively flick the file open and stare down at the information before me.