twenty - mistake #2

chapter xx.
( iron man 3 )

can somebody help me out?
i    can't    find    my     friend
i'm   sinking    in    the   dark
can somebody  pick me up?
lung  ─── vancouver sleep clinic

can somebody help me out?i    can't    find    my     friendi'm   sinking    in    the   darkcan  somebody  pick me up?lung  ─── vancouver sleep clinic

aim headquarters
december 18, 2012
( five days ago )

"We're getting there!" Aldrich Killian said with that weird smile of his as he paced around behind me.

I glanced up from my microscope to his white suited body.

Killian cocked his sandy blonde head to the side a little, glancing from me to the other woman in the room, "You see, Maya? I told you the Stark kid would be able to help get us there."

My eyes flicked over to the brunette. It turned out after that night nearly thirteen years ago in Switzerland that Maya Hansen did call Aldrich Killian after he forced himself onto the elevator with us. We weren't exactly pleased to see each other when Killian brought me to work on Extremis. I personally wasn't thrilled because of her history with my father and she wasn't thrilled because I wasn't my father. Within the two days I had been working at AIM Headquarters, we quickly decided that we would stay out of each other's way so we could just get Extremis working.

"Closer, Killian, yes, but not there," Maya frowned and shook her dark waves of hair, "We're not there. If Lisa Stark is really 'as good as Tony', like you say," which I'm not, but I wasn't about to admit that, "then we should be there by now."

I rolled my blue eyes over at her, "Honey, you've been working on this for over thirteen years, I've been working on it for two days. Give me a break."

"Well, I'm not the one who's on a necessary time crunch, am I?" she shot back.

That shut me up.

I angrily gritted my teeth and turned back down to the work in front of me. My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket to glance at my new message. I smiled a little when I saw it was from Natasha. She was pretty much the funny aunt that I hadn't had in a really long time. She treated me between the mix of a niece and a little sister and a daughter so it was nice to know that the feeling was mutual. But, like all aunt/sister/mother figures, she had not left me alone about our "certain conversation" since we parted ways in Central Park in May.

    Nat: So, I've been doing a little digging...

    Yup, it seemed like she was still riding that horse of nagging and prying. Well, what could I expect? She was a spy, after all. Honestly, I didn't mind that much. It was nice to be doing something normal.

Me: Don't you have some super spy stuff to do?

Nat: And I found something too...

Yikes.