thirty - the rise of red raven

chapter xxx.
( iron man 3 )

don't      you      ever
tame  your  demons
but                always
keep 'em on a leash
arsonist's lullaby ─── hozier

don't      you      evertame  your  demonsbut                 alwayskeep 'em on a leasharsonist's lullaby ─── hozier

new york, new york
december 25, 2012
( lisa's point of view )

And, so, as Christmas morning begins, my journey has reached its end.

You start with something frightening, something desperate. Then, comes the selfishness, the mistakes.

We create our own demons and, often times, if we let them, they become our own villains.

Rhodey oversees the vice president's arrest for conspiracy to commit murder as well as treason. Trevor Slattery is arrested and publicly exposed for his crimes and, quite honestly, I don't think he minds all that much.

And my father keeps his promise. It takes a while, some tinkering as he always does, but Dad fixes Pepper and me. It is like the good old days as Dad and I work for hours on end in a makeshift workshop. Side-by-side, we try various techniques and experiments out until we can be sure that my body will heal even without the Extremis that doctors pull from our veins. But, then, Dad doesn't stop, and I think it's good that he never can.

My father's leather jacket hangs off of me and my bootjets once more cover my feet. I stand in between a supportive Rhodey and a concerned Pepper, watching as my father lies on a hospital bed with doctors standing around him.

His eyes calmly fall closed and his thumb turns up just before the anesthesia takes over

His eyes calmly fall closed and his thumb turns up just before the anesthesia takes over. And, just like that, the damage done on January 24th, 2010 is taken out of my father's chest and erased as shrapnel that was supposed to be the end of him rises and clings to a magnet. I look up between my uncle and my mother as Rhodey drapes an arm over my shoulder and Pepper kisses my forehead.

New Year's Eve comes around quickly, bringing 2013 along with it. Exactly thirteen years after that night in Switzerland, I am once again standing on a roof. The New York City skyline stretches out behind us as fireworks light up the midnight sky. T'Challa and I lean against the railing, laughing and joking as the cool air blows around us. It took Dad some convincing to allow me to invite him to the party before he goes back to Wakanda, but a lot of begging from me and even a lot of glares from a very stubborn Pepper eventually swayed him.