twenty-three - attack on 10880 malibu point

chapter xxiii.
(   iron man 3   )

bury me   in armor
when i'm dead and hit the ground
my nerves are poles that unfroze
if you love me, won't you let me know?
violet hill ─── coldplay

bury             me              in               armorwhen  i'm   dead   and  hit   the   groundmy   nerves    are   poles   that    unfrozeif you love me, won't you let me know?violet hill  ─── coldplay

stark mansion
december 22, 2012
(   today   )

And so there I was: a complete and utter nimrod running as hard and as fast as I could. The gates of our Malibu mansion slowly glided open as Jarvis distantly greeted me. My Converses skidded against the concrete as I turned the corner and bounded towards the front door.

Gotta tell Dad. Gotta let him know. Gotta hurry up. The words repeated endlessly as the glass door automatically slid open for me.

I knew only a few things in the moments that took less than ten minutes ago. If Aldrich Killian's Extremis truly had been hijacked by the Mandarin, then Dad had to know before my idiocy completely ran rampant. He had to fix my screw up before it could get any worse. And it was going to get worse. It was going to get much, much worse.

The sight of not two, but three people standing in my living room was what caused me to I abruptly slide to a stop at the end of the foyer. My father with his styled up brown hair and chocolate eyes. My surrogate mother with her long strawberry-blonde hair and soft eyes. And then another woman with long dark hair and brown eyes. My eyes rounded in anger when I recognized the woman to be Maya Hansen as she was standing next to my father and Pepper.

"What are you doing here?!" I breathily demanded, resting my hands on my knees as I wheezed.

Could she be a part of this too? I mean, is it possible than she was just working on Extremis as an innocent scientist? Is Aldrich Killian even a part of this willingly? The Mandarin is powerful, perhaps he simply just stole the information or forcefully coerced AIM and that's why the Headquarters is empty? Even now, there are still too many unknowns and I can't blame anyone for anything. Not yet. Besides, as much as I don't like her, Maya Hansen didn't necessarily look threatening. Could she be like me, accidentally complicit? Complicity. Collusion. Partly to blame. At fault.

Oh God, what have I done?!

"Oh great, Lisa remembers her too!" Pepper threw a hand out to me as she looked back at Dad, speaking in a higher pitch than normal.

"She's not really," Dad nonchalantly shook his head a little, referring to the other brunette woman.

"No, not really," Maya agreed with a shrug, "It was just one night."

Oh, ew. That is something I never ever wanted to hear about my father. I knew her history with my dad, but still. I mean, I'd have to be blind and deaf to not be aware of his persona, but that does not mean I want or need to hear about it. Like I've said before, that part of his life makes me feel extremely uncomfortable and weird.