twelve - the battle of new york

chapter xii.
( avengers )

i   am   flesh    and     i   am   bone
arise, ting ting, like glitter and gold
i've     got     fire     in     my    soul
rise,      ting,      ting,      like glitter
glitter & gold barns courtney

i    am    flesh    and     i    am    bonearise, ting ting, like glitter and goldi've     got      fire      in      my     soulrise,       ting,       ting,      like glitterglitter & gold — barns courtney

new york, new york
may 3, 2012

With the speeds we're going, it doesn't take us that long to reach New York and a very familiar tower comes into view. Dad and I leave the quinjet behind as we glide through the city, dodging the other immense buildings. As we get closer, my head begins to ache and the stabbing pain returns. I groan and shake my head quickly, trying to get the pain to stop.

"The Tesseract, the scepter, Loki," I call over the comms, trying to keep the sound of pain out of my voice, "They're all close."

"You ain't kidding," Dad mumbles as we near Stark Tower's roof.

A man stands near a strange device with a glowing blue light situated within it, zapping and snapping with energy. The Tesseract. I wince again as we come to a halt, hovering above the roof.

"Sir, I've turned off the arc reactor," I hear Jarvis say through the comm's in Dad's helmet, "The device is already self-sustained."

Oh, lovely.

"Shut it down, Doctor Selvig!" Dad harshly calls down to the man below.

"It's too late!" the doctor turns around and grins at us excitedly, "It can't stop now. He wants to show us something!" His voice gains a twisted sense of wonder, "A new universe."

A new universe... The galaxies will open and the I can only imagine the possibilities. Endless, timeless possibilities. A new future, for all of us. Things will be different now. Everything will be different now. As I shake out of my thoughts, I give a quiet, long whistle.

"Okay," Dad says in the same unimpressed, bored tone and he raises his thrusters towards the device.