twenty-nine - the fall of the mandarin

chapter xxix.
( iron man 3 )

i    fall    from    the    sky
but  i   don't  fall  forever
i  fall  but  when i'll  rise,
i'll be stronger than ever
stronger than ever ─── raleigh ritchie

i    fall    from     the    skybut  i   don't  fall  foreveri  fall  but  when i'll  rise,i'll be stronger than everstronger than ever ─── raleigh ritchie

miami, florida
december 24, 2012
( third point of view )

Tony's mouth stays open as the world rings like a low, agonizing siren in his ears. He feels physically sickened by the sight of nothing but flames where his daughter used to be. It's only empty air that stretches in between him and the concrete ground so very far down below. He can still hear her scream as she plummeted down and begged for him to hold onto her. She was scared. He's always tried so hard to protect her, to shelter her, to be careful with her. And she was scared and he failed her. The horrific sight grows overwhelming and his breath shudders out as realization upon realization cascades down upon him.

She's dead.

Lisa May Stark is dead.

His life, his everything, his gentle baby girl is gone.

And just like that, because he couldn't save her, because he let that precious girl slip through his fingers, he's not a father anymore.

And he only said it once. Oh God, he only said it once.

I love you.

Why couldn't he say it more? She was so hurt and so hated by so many people and he should have let her known that he wasn't ever one of them.

His head jerks to the side, but he can't seem to tear his burning eyes away. He can't look away from where his baby is. He can nearly hear it, even from two hundred feet up: the sound of his little girl's body smacking off of the concrete, breaking the life out of her. His eyes twitch until he can't bear it anymore, fulling turning himself away.

His eyes squeeze shut and then he sees it all like a kaleidoscope of memories

A little brunette girl laid in a hospital bed, bruised and broken as she waited for him to save her.