nineteen - the braves & their faces

chapter xix.
( iron man 3 )

who i am today is worse than other times
you    don't     know    what    i've     done
i'm     wanted     and     on       the      run
so i take this moment to live in the future
message man ─── twenty one pilots

who i am today is worse than other timesyou     don't     know    what     i've     donei'm     wanted      and      on        the      runso i take this moment to live in the futuremessage man ─── twenty one pilots

stark mansion
december 17, 2012
( six days ago )

Hope was back. That night I could feel the near excitement course through me as I got home and slowly worked my way down to the workshop. It was way past midnight as I had already spent the rest of my day at AIM Headquarters, diving into Extremis. It was a complicated equation to be certain, especially with the glitches. And from what Aldrich Killian had shown me, the glitches were quite, um, severe. For instance, the plant they were testing Extremis on blew up after it tried to heal one of it's broken branches.

Talk about overdramatic.

There was hope, but a part of my heart dreaded it. I couldn't bear to be let down again, especially if I was just wasting what limited time I had left. My brain wouldn't leave me alone. My father looked at me strangely. I was on all sorts of medication. I could hear voices at night and in my dreams. Then each time I looked in the mirror I was reminded that my body was giving out. I could see it in the way that my body struggled to perform even the simplest tasks. Some mornings I struggled to even lift a spoon to my mouth. My thrusters had stopped working long ago and a bitter sense of irony came along with that. Edgar Frost had always wanted me dead and the fact that it was his very own invention that was going to kill me just seemed sickeningly ironic.

The wires within my wrists had begun to fall apart and consequently burnt my veins, making them both deteriorate as a result. It was agonizing, but this wasn't the final nail within my coffin. No, no, it was something else. When the wires deteriorated, they released special metallic particles that were toxic to my body. I had been poisoned from the inside out. I felt like I had lost the war again. The war against Edgar Frost, against my past. He killed me, but I lived to remember it. Yet here I was again, dying with only one last chance at survival. It had come full circle and it made me nauseous.

Even forgetting about Edgar, something about Aldrich Killian and AIM all felt wrong within my chest, but I couldn't place exactly what was wrong with it so I tried to push it aside. I had to focus on the task at hand, but there was still that constant nagging that I felt.