seven - the people of the '40s

chapter vii.
(   avengers   )

just      keep      your      head       low
don't     think    about      it      at     all
soldier        on,              soldier        on
keep your heart, close to the ground
soldier on the temper trap

just      keep       your      head       lowdon't     think    about      it      at     allsoldier        on,              soldier        onkeep your heart, close to the groundsoldier on — the temper trap

shield helicarrier
may 3, 2012

    My three year old feet carried me down the manor's long hallway as I kept my four baby fingers in my mouth. I snuffed as I dragged my blankie along behind me. I had been suffering a bad cold and Dad had been letting me sleep in his room for the past week until I got better. He was upstairs right then, softly snoring the morning away. It was about six o'clock in the morning and I thought I was the only one up in the house other than Jarvis. Grandma had an event meeting to attend while Pepper and Howard both were at Stark Industries for the day.

My bunny slippers stopped in front of the tall wooden door and my blue eyes trailed up the length of it. It was Howard's private office, the one room in the manor I had never been in. Grandma said it was full of Howard's most prized possessions, everything he cared about in the world. Whenever I had asked about it, Dad's face would simply turn hard and then he'd shrug it off like it wasn't a big deal. But, even as a three year old little girl, I could tell that it was a very big deal to him. I could see through him, just as he could see through me. Something about this room made my father hurt and I couldn't understand why.

I pulled my slobbery fingers from my mouth and gave the doorknob a gentle twist before then pushing the door open. I didn't move from my spot for a long moment as I simply peered inside. The room before me was large and wide and covered in nice furnishings with long dark drapes and a nice oak floor. The oak floor was covered in a very expensive looking rug with cream fringe at its sides. A large desk sat in the center of the room and a leather chair stood proudly behind it. A line of frames hung on the wall and black and white photos were housed inside of them.

My slippers scuffled across the floor as I reached the wall and stared up at the pictures with curious eyes. Men and women looked strong and firm in some of them while others showed those same men and women smiling with happiness. I recognized a very young looking Howard among them as he stood with a very broad-shouldered blond man, a feminine yet tough brunette woman, and a dark-haired soldier. The sound of someone clearing their throat made me whirl around with a gasp and slam back into the wall. Terror showed in my eyes as I stared at the newcomer and it only slightly faded when I realized that the person was Howard.

"Well," he slid his hands into his pockets and casually rolled his shoulders back, "I don't think you're supposed to be in here."

I tried to mumble an apology, but my words were snuffed out by my fingers.