eleven - assembled

chapter xi.
( avengers )

one  thing  i  can  tell  you
is    you    got     be    free
come together, right now
come together the beatles

one  thing  i  can  tell  youis    you     got     be     freecome together, right nowcome together — the beatles

shield helicarrier
may 3, 2012

I don't catch up with Dad until we reach the now empty holding cell. He stands by the railing, staring at the place where the glass cell should be. I cross my bloodied hands over my stomach and silently pad closer to him. The side of my head rests ahead his tensed upper arm and I let out a quiet breath. Neither of us speaks. After a few more minutes, I move away from him and begin pacing around the room. I pass by the sickening blood on the wall and I reach the big hole where Phil shot Loki through. Just the sight of it makes me confused on how to feel. Happy that Phil fought with honor and courage? Devastated because, in the end, that good man is still dead? My fingers gently brush the jagged metal and I accidentally cut myself on it. I hiss and pull my hand back, staring down at it in near wonder.

My own blood mixes with Phil's. And then the tears come. Phil doesn't need the blood on my hands. Phil is dead. With a small yelp, I angrily punch my fist into the wall. But it doesn't do any good because Phil is still dead and my knuckles are now probably broken. As my hand trembles with the throbbing pain, I groan and hold my fist tightly against my stomach. Dad glances in my direction and he gives an emotionless, meaningless smirk. I scowl and moan, weakly leaning against the wall. I hear footsteps coming down the hall and I look up to see Steve carefully walking through the doorway. Dad doesn't turn to look at the newcomer and I don't even acknowledge him. I just stare.

"Was he married?" Steve asks quietly.

"No. There was a, uh, cellist, I think," Dad answers quickly, still angry with the world.

"I'm sorry. He seemed like a good man," Steve responds in regret.

He suddenly snaps, "He was an idiot!"

"Dad!" I hurriedly step towards him as my face contorts in anger.

"Why? For believing?" Steve takes my side and I somehow get the feeling that such a thing is going to happen often.

"For taking on Loki alone," Dad snaps again before he suddenly turns to me, accusingly, "And you! You came in here! You came in here when you knew what he could do to you,"

"They were doing their jobs," Steve steps closer, defending me.

"It's not her job," Dad scoffs, looking away from me with a small shake of the head, "They were out of their league. They should have waited. They should have," he trails off, still angry and in pain.

"Sometimes there isn't a way out, Tony."

Dad walks away a little, "Right. How did that work for him?" he then nods in my direction, still not looking at me, "How did that almost work out for her?"