twenty-eight - he couldn't save me

chapter xxviii.
( iron man 3 )

tonight, you just close your eyes
and i just  watch   you slip away
how close  am  i  to  losing you?
today ─── the national

tonight, you just close your eyesand i  just  watch   you slip awayhow  close  am  i  to  losing you?today ─── the national

miami, florida
december 24, 2012

"Lisa. Lisa, you must wake up."

I let out a quiet moan.

"It's all alright, Darling." A soft, kind voice comforts me, "Just open your eyes."

I moan again before I obey. Maria Stark is peering at me with a small smile as blood trickles down the side of her head. My brows furrow and I push myself up onto my elbows. She gives me a small smile and I can't help but smile back at her.

"Hi Grandma," I speak quietly, "I've missed you." She gives me another smile, "Dad's missed you too. I think it hurts him how much he misses you."

She nods is understanding, "I know, Darling, I know. We miss you both as well." She rests a gentle hand on my sixteen year old cheek as a car fire blazes behind her, "Honey, you need to remember."

"Remember?"

"Yes, Lisa," it's Howard who is suddenly before me now, "You got to remember."

Ouch.

That's pretty much the summation of my thoughts at the current moment.

Just... ouch.

My head is killing me and it slowly comes back to me as to the reason why. Not only did I have to contend with the Mandarin or Trevor Slattery or whatever's drug-induced jabbering, I also was kicked in the face with a boot by a man with super strength. Ah, it all makes so much sense now. I realize that my shoulder is also aching, as if I've been stuck in the same position for a while. The ringing in my ears slowly begins to dissipate and the sound of voices forces me to peek my eyes open.

"No, you two are in a dungeon," Maya Hansen is facing my direction as she says lightly, "I'm free to go."

"Yeah," Dad, who appears to be strapped to an upturned metal bed frame, responds in a disbelieving tone.

I open my eyes a little more and see that I'm lying on a gray-green cement ground. There are handcuffs around my wrists and a thin chain latches me to the nearby wall. I keep quiet, not finding it within me to speak up. Blood is seeping through my sleeves, making a small puddle around my arms. My stomach is churning and all I really want is to just be at peace. At this point, sleep or death is both fine with me. Whichever comes first. Maya sighs, spinning from her chair up to her feet.

She begins walking down a few steps as her voice echoes off the walls, "A lot has happened, Tony. But I'm close," Dad struggles to get out of his holdings, releasing an angry puff of air when he doesn't succeed, "Extremis is practically stabilized,"