11

I awoke with a banging headache in an empty bed, which confused me for a few moments until the events of last night came back to me, clear as day.

James was asleep on the sofa, as we'd argued because I wouldn't have sex with him. When I thought about it, it was a little ridiculous – there was no need for him to overreact like that. I'm sure today now we were both sober it would all be okay, but the entire argument was pointless in the first place. We would have sex soon, I knew it. Plus, sex wasn't everything. Some couples went months without having it.

I checked my phone for the time, but it wasn't the clock that I was looking at when I opened the screen.

1 new text message. From Jimmy.

I cringed as I remembered texting him last night, still feeling vulnerable after my argument with James and slightly intoxicated. It wasn't anything too bad – I simply asked him what he was doing. But he hadn't replied until 7AM, suggesting he was asleep when I sent the message.

I eventually opened it after minutes of debating. It read – 'At 3AM? I was sleeping. I guess you weren't... Wait... was that a booty call??? Iz, I thought better of you ;)'

"Fuck," I groaned, rolling over and shoving my face into my pillow. Drunk texting was one thing, but drunk texting your boss after an argument with your boyfriend was another. I knew Jimmy and I knew he probably wouldn't care, but the thought didn't help dispel my embarrassment.

I had a boyfriend. I shouldn't be drunk texting anyone else, I shouldn't be having thoughts about my boss, and I shouldn't be acting distant with James when he'd done nothing wrong. Sure, he may have overreacted a little last night but I completely got his frustrations. I had changed, and I needed to change back. Whatever it took, I would do it. I had to.

I tiptoed out into the lounge not long later, seeing James curled up on the couch fast asleep. I shook my head, smiling to myself. I do love him, I thought. I really do.

I found myself going across and curling up next to him, moving his arms so they were draped around me, watching his expression change as he slowly woke up. His bright blue eyes looked right into mine, and he blinked a few times as if to decide whether or not seeing me in front of him like this was real.

"I'm sorry," I whispered quietly.

"No, Izzie, I'm sorry," he replied, his arms pulling me towards him. "I was stupid. So stupid. I shouldn't have reacted like that. I was just drunk."

"I was too," I muttered. "But James, I was in the wrong too. I have been distant, I know that. I..." I trailed off, wondering how to explain how I felt. "It's just been a big change, you know? We spent so much time together before. It will just take time to readjust."

"I get that babe, I really do. It's just... sometimes I worry. You're far too good for me, Izzie."

"Shut up, James." James was gorgeous – in college, he always had girls all over him. If anything, he was too good for me.

"You are. In everything – looks, personality, your heart. You're a good person, Izzie. I wish I could be as good as you."

I just shook my head, feeling a little confused by what he meant but assuming he just meant because of the way he acted last night. "Seriously, it's all good. Can we forget about it?"

"Of course," he whispered, kissing me on my lips. We kissed for a few minutes, before it started to turn a little more passionate, and his hands crept down to my ass. I could tell he wanted to take it further, but just as he realised it too, he started to pull away.

I had one of two options. Let him pull away and go and make him breakfast. Pancakes, probably, and sit and eat and pretend everything was okay. Know for a fact that all he was thinking about was the fact his girlfriend wouldn't have sex with him. Then, the next time we have a drink, have the same fight all over again, whether that be in 1 day or 1 week.